Bach Rescue Remedy Soothing Pastilles

Bach Rescue Remedy Soothing Pastilles

Bach Rescue Remedy Pastilles are the latest addition to the popular Rescue Remedy range. Famous for providing inner calm in our stressful modern day l

Review of "Bach Rescue Remedy Soothing Pastilles"

published 29/08/2010 | Lozzyjay
Member since : 04/08/2010
Pro Works well, discrete
Cons Tastes horrible, expensive
Effectiveness
Availability
Price level
Value For Money

"Works well to calm me down but prefer the spray!"

I've written a review previously about Bach Rescue Remedy spray, and I have had a lot of success with this product. I saw the pastilles advertised in my local chemist and I decided to buy them and see what they were like. My main reason for doing so is that when I do feel anxious in public, I often feel silly and self-conscious taking out a bright yellow bottle and spraying it into my mouth. Pastilles would be a lot more discrete and just look like I was eating a sweet!

You can buy these pastilles pretty much anywhere and to give an idea of the price, for a 50g tin:

£4.12 from the Bach website.
£4.95 Holland & Barrett
£5.15 The Natural Store
£5.15 Boots

The ingredients in these pastilles include the herbs that are used in the rescue remedy spray, which are:

Rock Rose - This helps relieve terror and panic
Impatiens - This helps you with irritation and impatience
Clematis - This makes you focus and prevents inattentiveness
Star of Bethlehem - This helps to aid shock
Cherry Plum - This helps to prevent irrational thoughts

They come in a yellow circular tin, about 4-5cm in diameter. They will fit easily in your bag therefore so are quite easy to carry around with you during the day. I found the lid quite tricky to remove, I tried for ages to twist the lid off but what you actually have to do is push into the middle of the lid and this makes the edges clip off. This is quite annoying and it would be easier if it were in a simple twist-off lid.

Now to the taste. I actually hated the taste! They are yellow in colour and are really hard. They have a flavour of orange and elderflower, which I found to be really unpleasant! Once the pastilles get a bit wet they get a lot softer, and are similar in toffee in stickiness! They get stuck to your teeth and make your jaw ache from all the chewing, and then my tongue started to ache from trying to prise the sweet from my teeth! If you suck them and don't chew then they are fine.

It is probably more advisable to suck rather than chew them anyway as this will make them last longer and make the effects more noticeable.

i did find that these pastilles worked quite well in relieving my anxiety. I used them whilst on a plane flight, to suck during the take off and I actually found that I felt a lot calmer than I normally do. This could be a placebo effect but if it makes me feel better then great!!

You get about 20 pastilles in a tin, which is quite a lot for £4-£5, (think how expensive fruit pastilles are!). When I had them they lasted about a week until I finished them all. Because of this reason I would suggest rescue remedy spray instead. You get a lot more use out of the spray, and it lasts about a month in duration when I am especially anxious! The only benefit to the pastilles is that they are discrete and you aren't announcing to everyone that you are panicking and need to calm down!

• MrBrightside1987 published 13/09/2010
    Great review :) x
  • catsholiday published 29/08/2010
    Sound good but not cheap
  • Claiiiree published 29/08/2010