Bahlsen hit biscuits

Bahlsen hit biscuits

Chocolate Biscuits

Review of "Bahlsen hit biscuits"

published 07/02/2010 | clocktower
Member since : 29/08/2008
Thanks for all your kind messages and r/r/cs...now read on!
Pro Very satisfying.
Cons A bit noisy in the middle ear; crumbs in the cleavage.
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"Top of the Hit Parade"

I’m not really one to buy biscuits, knowing all too well what an immediate effect they have on my waistline, hipline, legline and bingo wings, but the other day I was feeling a bit low (I’ve been hobbling around with a sprained ankle for the last two months), so I played the ‘you’re worth it’ card, and bought myself a packet of Hit, the cocoa creme one.

The Hit.
Wow, are they well-named or what? Each biscuit is actually a cocoa layer, sandwiched between two thin biscuits. With the first nibble you are struck by the crispiness of the biscuits, almost as crisp as a wafer, but with a nice sort of rich tea-ish taste instead of cardboard. (I can’t stand wafers.) Another nibble and the ‘hit’ hits! And it really does hit. It is the most chocolatey taste you can imagine, which is released in a cool stream straight into your chocolate receptors and gets the old endorphins going something mental. Pure pleasure. Private pleasure in fact, because the sound of crunching obliterates outside noise, allowing you to concentrate on the taste and texture in a world of your own.
Usually I can see myself going through a whole packet of biscuits at one sitting, no problem; but with these, I always want to eat each one really slowly to savour the experience, so that is probably why they seem strangely satisfying. In fact, this packet might even be a few days’ worth, if I’m lucky.
The Padding
The Bahlsen factory originated in Germany, no surprise, and has a range of mouthwatering products; including my other favourite, the Choco Leibniz Keks biscuits. (Interestingly, contrary to popular belief, ‘keks’ does not refer to trousers, but to ‘cakes’, for in 1911 Hermann Bahlsen was given official permission to ‘germanise’ this word from the English into the German language.)
The Source
Somerfield, Morrisons, Tesco, Waitrose and some Asda. In Waitrose (I never shop anywhere else if I can help it) they cost 75p for 20 biscuits, although, of course, you really get 40 biscuits as they are sandwiched. You will find them in a blue packet not unlike the one at the top of this review, with the word ‘Hit’ in large red letters prominently displayed near the top, with ‘Cocoa Creme’ below and two golden biscuits floating tantalisingly below that like a couple of flying saucers. ’Bahlsen’ appears in a small blue banner at the top.
The contents
I notice the ‘Best Before’ is ten months away – I don’t think I could stretch them out that far. These are ‘Keks mit Kakaocreme-fullung’ which I believe I have already touched upon, and two of these bad boys will give you a 138-calorie blast, which seems fairly reasonable to me. They contain: wheat flour, sugar, vegetable fat, low-fat cocoa powder (3.3%), glucose/fructose syrup, whey powder, raising agents:ammonium bicarbonate and sodium bicarbonate, salt, acidity regulator: citric acid, skimmed milk powder, emulsifier: soya lecithin, flavours and flavouring, and whole egg powder.

And that is why they taste so good. Thank you for reading. Now to hoover the keyboard . . . and the cleavage.

• Jake_Speed published 15/10/2011
    I love the thought of a cocoa layer!
  • pgn0 published 29/05/2010
    Bahlsen "more chocolate than a biscuit" - or so the tagline goes - have my vote any day for a plain chocolate kick in a biscuit, oft copied, never matched.
  • LaceyR26 published 06/05/2010
    I love Leibniz biccies. I used to love these aswell until sampling them a few months ago and not being as impressed with them as I once was. Good review though x L@cey