Lip Make-up - Lip Gloss

Review of "Bare Escentuals BareMinerals Marvelous Moxie Lipgloss Maverick"

published 02/01/2017 | justarube
Member since : 09/04/2014
Hi, I enjoy writing and reading reviews. Thanks for your rates and comments. xx
Pro Durable, lovely light reflective shade.
Cons Quite sticky and heavy on the lips.
Absorbency
Gloss?
Frequency of Reapplication

"Look Foxy With Marvelous Moxie!"

Introduction

This product is a coloured lip gloss by the brand Bare Minerals. A family member gave me this product after buying it and deciding they didn't like the shade. Bare Minerals isn't a brand I'm all that familiar with since their products are quite expensive and a little bit out of my price range. This is only the second product in the Bare Minerals collection I've ever used.

The brand pride themselves on creating make-up that uses "naturally derived minerals" in their ingredients to ensure that what we are putting onto our skin is nourishing and not harmful.

The brand originate from San Francisco, U.S.A and state on their website that they have been creating their products for over 35 years. They believe their brand provides innovative and unique products for women looking for "purity" and who want to "feel beautiful".

I should point out that the Bare Minerals label originally came under the brand's Bare Escentuals name so the products were known as 'Bare Minerals By Bare Escentuals'. However, the Bare Escentuals name seems to have been phased out to some degree. The Bare Escentuals website at:

www.bareescentuals.com

is American based but still uses the umbrella term 'Bare Minerals' across the website. The U.K site can be found at:

www.bareminerals.co.uk

About The Product

This is a coloured lip gloss so it has a liquid formula rather than being a waxy balm or a stick lipstick. It is part of a gloss collection called the 'Marvelous Moxie' (note the American spelling) lip glosses which, as far as I can tell, is their only lip gloss product.
Packaging

This product comes in a 0.15 Fl Oz. or 4.5 ml sized tube. The tube is lightweight and easy to carry in a handbag. The tube is transparent plastic so you can see the shade through the sides. However, the condensed product looks a little darker than when the gloss is applied to the lips.

The tube has a long wand with a large soft sponge at the end. The sponge is tilted at a 45 degree angle. I'm not convinced that this is necessary although it does give you a nice flat area so that you can cover a good deal of surface area on the lips when applying. The sponge also has a fine tip so it can be directed into the corners of the lips too.

The sponge picks up most of the gloss towards the tip but not enough along the length of the sponge so I find it necessary to dunk the wand several times per application.

The Shade

Maverick is a shade of pink which appears to be one of the deeper and richest pinks in the Moxie collection. It's a colour I'd describe as being able to provide a more 'natural' finish. It's not a flashy, 'show off' colour and although it transforms the lips it can also work in harmony with the rest of your make-up. So you don't have to choose between this shade and your eye shadow, for example. Overall I'd probably describe this as a 'safe' shade and by that I mean I think it is a colour most women will like and will suit.

I've attempted to take a picture of the product but it does not adequately reveal the shimmering depth of the formula. The shade is light reflective and has the tiniest specks of what appear to be glitter. The sparkles look fairly natural and not gaudy. It can look very pretty and glamorous when the light hits your lips.

The texture

The gloss is very thick and sticky. It's actually a bit of a struggle to pull the wand out of the bottle. It also feels difficult to apply since the formula is not at all fluid. It requires a lot of dabbing across the surface of the lip. This can obviously be a bit time consuming. The gloss does seem to melt somewhat when it touches my warm lips so it can then be smoothed around to make the application more even. However, this is probably the most sticky, stiff gloss I've ever used. It feels like slightly solidified orange juice. If I layer my lips with this it actually makes my lips stick together so that when I prise my mouth open there is an odd popping sound where the gloss is gluing my skin together. I personally prefer a more fluid gloss as I like to be able to apply a gloss quickly and easily. I also feel the stickiness of the gloss causes some issues when I'm wearing it. It is one of those glosses that will hold onto any windblown hairs and because I have very long locks I tend to have to keep tugging my strands away from my mouth.

One benefit of the thicker formula is that it is long lasting, however. The gloss does not wear off easily because it can't be wiped away by the normal movement of your mouth or by your hand.

The fragrance

The gloss has an interesting fragrance which I'd describe as being like sugared candy or boiled sweets. The scent is quite childish in character and is also rather feminine. I think younger women would probably appreciate the scent more than older women. The fragrance is detectable when applying and I can also smell it when I'm wearing the gloss. Sometimes when I wear a gloss I accidentally get some in my mouth and can taste it. This gloss actually smells edible so there might even be a subconscious desire to want to taste it! Often I wear glosses that taste very chemically and which can even taint meals but this Marvelous Moxie has a very subtle flavour which doesn't bother me and which I can't detect if I'm eating or drinking anything.
Why Choose This Product?

Bare Minerals is a brand I've heard mentioned by younger members of my family who are really into make-up and beauty. It's a very desirable brand so I'm sure that some people could get some kudos from simply telling people that they are using this brand!

Aside from that the gloss is fairly unique. I've used so many glosses in my lifetime and this one is different in terms of how it feels and how it looks once applied. It offers a more professional finish than some cheaper brands.

As I mentioned this gloss has a very thick consistency and this makes it more durable. Once it is on the lips it stays there until you rub it off. I very rarely need to top it up although to maintain a fresher look I would reapply after five or six hours. Some transfer is inevitable when eating or drinking.
The gloss can be removed with a cotton pad at the end of your day. I would recommend using an oil based make up remover for this.
Price and Availability

The brand is sold at various places in the UK including Debenhams, House Of Fraser, Boots and large department stores. They also sell some of the range on QVC if you prefer to shop from home. The Debenhams website offers this product in eighteen colours. The other shades available include deep purples, light pinks, biscuit browns and there are just a couple that have an orange tint.

The gloss costs £17 which is quite pricey but given that the brand promise such high quality ingredients including " Shea, Avocado and Murumuru butters" as well as their rich mineral complex then the price tag is justified.
Ingredients

The product is infused with a "vitamin A, C and E complex" to help nourish and pamper skin. It also has antioxidant qualities.

This brand stand by their claims that their products are 'natural' and healthy. Although I can't find the information directly printed onto the product a statement on the website confirms that the product is not tested on animals. However, some consumers state that the brand is owned by a parent company Shiseido, who DO test on animals.

The actual ingredients of the Marvellous Moxie are given below as stated on the website:

Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Polyglyceryl-2 Triisostearate, Octyldodecanol, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Microcrystalline Wax (Cera Microcristallina/Cire Microcristalline), Trimethylolpropane Triisostearate, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Menthone Glycerin Acetal, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Butter, Vp/Hexadecene Copolymer, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax (Candelilla Cera/Cire De Candelilla), Vanillin, Tribehenin, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Astrocaryum Murumuru Seed Butter, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Wax, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Sorbitan Isostearate, Zinc Gluconate, Copper Gluconate, Sodium Chloride, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-1. May Contain (+/-): Mica, Carmine (Ci 75470), Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499), Red 6 (Ci 15850), Red 28 Lake (Ci 45410), Red 30 Lake (Ci 73360), Yellow 5 Lake (Ci 19140), Blue 1 Lake (Ci 42090).
Do I recommend it?

I definitely think this product has some great qualities. I like that it can last so long and that it isn't easily wiped away from the lips after applying. However, I dislike having to apply the sticky liquid and I hate that it feels quite heavy on the lips and that it is a 'hair trap'.I really like the shade and the way that the colour seems to glow and grab the light, making my lips look healthy and plump.

I certainly think this product will be loved by many women, especially those looking for a gloss that is quite static and which doesn't need to be reapplied very often. I also think the fact that they do not test on animals is a good thing.

I would consider buying one of these glosses in the future and would also consider this as a gift for a female family member or friend.

• Saraa23 published 30/01/2017