Barr Irn Bru

Review of "Barr Irn Bru"

published 23/10/2007 | strow
Member since : 25/09/2006
Pro A taste sensation & superb hangover cure
Cons Amount of sugar is frightening - moderation and all that!

"Contrary to belief, it's not made from girders!!"

I have just had my first bottle of Irn Bru (pronounced iron brew) in over five years. What have I been doing all this time, it\'s a lovely drink and a superb morning pick-me-up.

The distinctive aroma that escaped from the bottle as I slowly twisted off the cap was fantastic, which was closely followed by a hearty slug and a belch of appreciation.

The liquid itself is extremely gassy and a distinct lurid orange colour (almost as bright as a highlighter pen)

According to the bottle has been \"Bru\'d in Scotland to a secret recipe for over 100 years\" and apparently only 2 board members know it and a written copy is locked away in a bank vault in Switzerland - exciting stuff eh!?!. The bottle recommends that the drink should be served cool and I heartily agree with that. The 500ml bottle is 23cm tall and 6cm wide down the majority of the bottle. The sleeve around the bottle is in the distinctive bright orange and royal blue colours, with the screw top also being the same shade of blue, but the spinning man logo printed on the top. The spinning man logo also features on the sleeve of the bottle sections and is supposed to symbolise the energy and vitality drinking a bottle of this can give you.

I am so sorry but I cannot describe the flavour or the aroma. they are truly unique and seeing as we have established that the recipe is top secret, I cannot put my finger on what the flavours are. Suffice to say, you\'ll either like it or you won\'t - if you\'ve never tried it, give it a go. If you have tried it, you\'ll hopefully understand why I can\'t quite put into words what it tastes like - it is quite sweet, but that\'s what you\'d expect from a sugary bottle of pop.

The nitty gritty details regarding the drink are listed below and the most worrying item on there for me is the amount of sugar contained within the drink. If you were to drink a full 500ml bottle (like I just have), then you will have consumed 42.6g of sugar, which is 58% of your recommended daily amount....frightening I\'m sure you\'ll agree.

Each 250ml serving (so you can double these for a full 500ml bottle) contains:

107 Calories (5% of an Adult\'s Recommended Daily Amount - RDA)
26.3g Sugar (29% of RDA)
0.0g Fat (0% of RDA)
0.0g Saturates (0% of RDA)
Trace of Salt (Less than 1% of RDA)

INGREDIENTS:

Carbonated Water
Sugar (Carbohydrate)
Citric Acid
Flavourings (including Caffeine & Quinine)
Preservative (E211)
Colours (E110, E124)
Amonium Ferric Citrate (0.02%)

COMPANY DETAILS:

www.irn-bru.co.uk

FREEPOST RRCU - SERY - RSAK,
A.C.BARR.p.l.c,
GlASGOW
G68 9HD
United Kingdom

If you liked this review, then please take the time to vote below

Best wishes

• Seresecros published 25/10/2007
    I heard Dan Brown's next book is going to be about one plucky American cook attempting to save the Irn Bru company when the two board members who know the recipe are killed and the bank in Switzerland is robbed.
  • duskmaiden published 23/10/2007
    Had one just last week in Scotland
  • lazza123 published 23/10/2007
    I haven't had one of these for a few years, but seem to remember not liking it then!! Larry