Barr Irn Bru

Review of "Barr Irn Bru"

published 18/02/2012 | michelley26
Member since : 11/11/2009
Pro tasty! great hangover cure, makes superb Irn Bru floats
Cons all the additives and colours in it
Packaging Design
Taste / Flavour

"made from girders - lol!"

Oh my goodness Irn Bru takes me back to my childhood, spending the whole of the 6 weeks school summer holidays in Scotland with my Scottish relatives and drinking Irn Bru the whole summer long. I'm surprised I didn't turn orange with the amount I used to drink as a kid!

I've loved Irn Bru ever since those childhood summers spent in Scotland, I especially love Irn Bru floats, basically a coke float but made with Irn Bru instead of coke. You should try this, believe you me, you will thank me, they are absolutely delicious. I've introduced my husband to them, and even he likes them. I used to have them all the time as a kid, when the ice cream van came around I'd be sent off with a tupperware dish to get the scoops of ice cream. I'd run back with the ice cream, and my Auntie would make me an Irn Bru float, mmm.

I don't drink Irn Bru very much any more, just very occasionally. It is an absolutely brilliant hangover cure though I have to admit, a couple of bottles of Irn Bru and some ibuprofen and I'm as right as rain! This is probably due to the preposterous levels of sugar and caffeine that it contains!

Irn Bru is a Scottish fizzy soft drink. It is bright orange in colour and contains a whole host of flavourings and colourings, it's probably best I don't know what these are, as I'd probably never drink it again! I don't have it that often, but I do still like the odd Irn Bru float, and if I can drag myself to the corner shop with a hangover I'll definately buy it then.
You can get Irn Bru in the supermarkets, the corner shop, Boots, Poundland, loads of places. It's available in 330ml cans, 250ml, 500ml, 1 litre and 2 litre bottles. It's available in the regular version, and a sugar free diet version.
I've left the taste to the end as it's really difficult to describe. It's got a slight citrusy flavour, mainly orange, but there's something else there too that's difficult to describe, vanilla maybe? It is really tasty and refreshing though, and it's best served chilled. It's certainly not to everyone's taste, my husband isn't too keen on it as a drink, although he will have it as an Irn Bru float.

I still love it after all these years, and it has the ability to take me right back!
I'm kinda craving a glass of Irn Bru now after writing this review!!

• angelboouk123 published 18/02/2012
    I love irn bru..well the diet stuff anyway x
  • fatman88 published 18/02/2012
    Refreshing wouldn't be the word to describe the sensation it gives me when I partake in a sip of Irn Bru. Fizzle probably, maybe erosion, as my teeth are attacked with furious fizzing as it thrashes against my teeth. Boy, it must be tough being a soft drink taster, imagine the dental cover or the inevitable membership subscription to Weight Watchers. I swear all Weight Watchers do is watch you get thin, and expect you to pay for it.
  • mozzie76 published 18/02/2012
    This is a great drink which is more popular than coca cola in Scotland