Barr Irn Bru

Barr Irn Bru

Review of "Barr Irn Bru"

published 04/05/2012 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
Due to time constraints, I am unlikely to be able to find the time to rate members that have received 3 times as many rates as they have given, apologies.
Pro Unique taste, well priced against other fizzy drinks, a taste sensation!
Cons May not suit all palate's, High sugar content.
Packaging Design
Taste / Flavour

"Irn Bru - is it really made from girders?!"

I have always had a thing for Irn Bru. I remember it as a child about 20 years ago, drinking it at school disco's as a treat. I were told that drinking it would put hairs on my chest! My Dad used to quote the advert to me, saying Irn Bru is made from girders. The bright orange colour was one of the attractions for me. Drinking a bright orange drink as a child was better than a boring coloured drink! Also, the flavour is something quite special. For me, Irn Bru is the best carbonated drink there is!

Barr manufacture Irn Bru and also Tizer, another popular drink. Made in Scotland Irn Bru is one of the best selling soft drinks in the UK and is popular in my household. We usually buy cans, but it is also available in 500ml bottles and the large 2litre bottles aswell. The taste is quite unique really. Although it has its immitations there are none on a par with the real thing.

As Irn Bru is a fizzy drink it has a high content of sugar. The problem is that it is so addictive! I love the taste. I buy the cans in 6-packs and the plastic wrapper and cans are a metallic orange colour with the distinct Irn Bru branding. The 6-pack of cans can be bought for a couple of pounds from most supermarkets and in my opinion is the nectar of the drinks world.

It is impossible to describe the taste. If you like the very sweet fizzy drinks then you may like Irn Bru, although I would say you either love it or hate it like Marmite.

The ingredients of Irn Bru are as follows;

Carbonated water, sugar (carbohydrate), citric acid, flavourings (including caffeine and quinine), preservative (E211), colours (E110, E124), ammonium ferric citrate (0.002%).

Irn Bru contains a special blend of 32 secret flavourings. They are obviously top secret and only listed as 'flavourings' in the ingredients list. According to Barr, only two people know the identity of these 32 secret flavourings. I think the mystery is the real attraction for some people, as the flavour is impossible to describe and is (almost) impossible to repeat without the recipe.

I have seen the Irn Bru website and noticed their range. I havn't come across their 250ml bottles, perhaps it is a Scottish thing as the bottles I have come across are 500ml. I wish I had come across their 750ml glass bottles aswell! I love drinking Coca-Cola from glass bottles as it tastes 10 times better than from a plastic bottle! I am unsure why. I think it may be because the glass is cold to the touch and feels more refreshing on your lips? Whatever the reason, I would love to try Irn Bru from a glass bottle!

I would definately recommend all drinkers of fizzy drinks try Irn Bru. The taste is quite unique, so it is impossible to describe and allow you to form an opinion until you have tried it, so go on!

• jjcross published 05/05/2012
    Awful stuff! Good review!
  • angelboouk123 published 04/05/2012
    my fave :)
  • pgn0 published 04/05/2012
    Just look at the colour, of course it's made from rusty old girders...