Batchelors Mushy Chip Shop Marrowfat Processed Peas

Batchelors Mushy Chip Shop Marrowfat Processed Peas

Review of "Batchelors Mushy Chip Shop Marrowfat Processed Peas"

published 15/03/2011 | star3683
Member since : 14/11/2010
Pro very tasty brilliant quality mushy peas
Cons slightly expensive compared to other brands
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"Mushy Peas!"

I am a big fan of peas especially the mushy variety and if the shopping budget will stretch then the Batchelors Chip Shop mushy peas will certainly end up in my trolley. Although they are still not quite the same as real chip shop mushy peas they have a much better flavour and consistency than some of the cheaper brands.

~~~~~Price~~~~~
A 300g tin of chip shop mushy peas are currently available from Tesco for 45p per tin. This is quite expensive for mushy peas as you can pick up a shops own brand for under 20p. But for me the quality and taste of these peas is much better and therefore worth the extra pennies.

~~~~~Packaging~~~~~
The peas come in a metal recyclable can which you need to open with a tin opener as there is no pull ring on the tin. The tin has the best before date stamped on top of the tin, the rest of the product information is on the paper label that is wrapped around the tin. On the front of the label there is the Bachelors logo and the wording 'mushy chip shop peas' exploding out of a picture of a pea. On the pack of the label you can find the nutritional information, ingredients listings, and heating instructions. There is also a small British flag logo with the statement 'the UK's NO.1 mushy pea.

~~~~~Nutritional Information / Ingredients~~~~~
The mushy peas have very few ingredients (Peas 95%, Water, Sugar, Salt, Colours E101, E133). This makes the peas low in fat and sugar. The main nutritional information I have listed below per 80g (the amount as suggested on the tin for one serving):
Energy - 70 kcal
Protein - 4.7g
Fat - 0.3g
Sodium - 0.16g

~~~~~Cooking~~~~~
This is one great thing about mushy peas as they hardly take any cooking. Either empty into a saucepan and heat gently until hot or simple warm for 2-21/2 mins in a covered container in the microwave for perfect mushy peas. I tend to use a wole tin or me and my partner, I think you could stretch a tin to three servings but any more than this I think you would need two tins.

~~~~~Taste / My Opinion~~~~~
I am not quite sure what it is about these peas that make them chip shop style as it does not state on the packaging. But to me they are still the best shop brought mushy peas I have tried, even though they are mushy you can still see almost whole peas after cooking and not just a slushy mess.
I serve these peas with fish and chips as well as pie, chips and gravy. For some reason they seem to go really well with gravy and I enjoy them more than frozen peas. Also I believe this is a Nottingham / East Midlands tradition but at The Nottingham Goose Fair (please see my earlier review), Bonfire Night and Halloween I also have mushy peas with mint sauce and always if possible served in a polystyrene cup just like at the fair!
I you have yet to try these mushy peas then I can highly recommend them, especially with the mint sauce!

Review also on Dooyoo under same name.

• torr published 16/03/2011
    Welcome to Ciao. Good first review (though perhaps a bit more about the taste would have made it better).
  • ciaotox published 16/03/2011