Battat Medical Set

Battat Medical Set

Dress up set - For ages: 3 Years +

Review of "Battat Medical Set"

published 02/08/2014 | Listerbelle
Member since : 25/07/2013
Life is busy albeit a little dull. And lacking in sleep. I have the beginnings of a blog. www.moneymaman.com
Good
Pro Super clip-shut case
Cons No blood pressure measuring item

"A medical set for my mini me"

Battat Medical Set - several items not in picture

Battat Medical Set - several items not in picture

The background

As a female medical doctor (not currently practicing), it was important to me that my daughter had her very own doctor kit. Traditionally such kits were surreptitiously marketed to boys and nurse's kits to girls.

Fortunately we have friends who feel the same way, and my daughter has received three such medical kits over the years. Two come with a soft bag and the third - this one - with a hard utility case.

Battat: Company information

Battat is a family-owned business that is 114 years old and has been in North America for over 40 years, according to the company website. There is no ethical or social policy that can be easily found on the website, and there is no record of the company on http://www.ethicalconsumer.org

Medical set

This medical set has the tag line "with travel case to make house calls". As an NHS-trained physician, I do have a problem with this. House calls are almost always inappropriate, palliation excepted. Homes are unsuitable for patient examination. They are poorly lit, in medical terms. Furthermore, patients are known to request home visits as they are housebound but funnily enough the patient often meets the doctor in the driveway just back from the hairdresser/shop/etc.

Getting off my high horse and putting these thoughts to one side, The white, hard plastic case is perfect for children. It is robust with a strong closing mechanism. Ours has survived being bashed about inside and outside. The case is also a decent enough size to enable mini-me to carry around all her doctor goodies, and a few spares or other toys as well.

Aimed at pre-schoolers, the plastic, child-friendly contents of the case are:
scissors, mirror, hammer, otoscope (for ears), tweezers, tray (kidney dish), thermometer, stethoscope, syringe and tongs (forceps).

Some children's play stethoscopes work however sadly this one is designed for imitation purposes only.

My thoughts

This is a good set for any budding medical practitioner-child aged around three years and older. The child can become familiar with the different weapons I mean tools a doctor (or nurse) may use. The hard case is the best thing about this kit. The lack of blood pressure cuff is a real let down.

Each and every one of the contents is lightweight and easy for small hands to grasp.

We found using play doctor's tools particularly helpful when my daughter was unwell with a respiratory illness which persisted for several months. Our daughter always did well at the doctor's surgery in terms of being calm and breathing in and out ok.

Each and every one of these components is lifelike and well made. Thankfully they seem to be safe and also easy to wipe clean.

It is a shame and also somewhat surprising that this medical kit does not come with a blood pressure cuff.

Recommended?

After discussing the pros and cons, on balance my daughter and I both recommend this medical kit. It is currently available from The Learning Shop for £16.95.

NB

Please note that I may choose to publish this review elsewhere.

• AnneLorraine1 published 02/05/2015