Baylis & Harding Sweet Mandarin and Grapefruit Hand Wash and Lotion Set

Baylis & Harding Sweet Mandarin and Grapefruit Hand Wash and Lotion Set

Review of "Baylis & Harding Sweet Mandarin and Grapefruit Hand Wash and Lotion Set"

published 17/05/2012 | angelboouk123
Member since : 01/06/2010
Busy working Mum to two boys and married to the love of my life <3
Pro holder, gentle on skin, suitable for everyone
Cons expensive for what it is, not very luxurious, scent is too subtle
Presentation of Set
Usefulness of Set

"Would Make A Lovely Gift.."

Baylis and Harding offer a range of bath and body treats and various gift sets at affordable prices.

Hand Gift Set

Baylis and Harding offer various fragranced hand gift sets including 'Rose and Honeysuckle' and 'Black Pepper and Ginseng'. The set I will be discussing is the 'Sweet Mandarin and Grapefruit' set.Contents :
  • Cleansing hand wash enriched with vitamin a, b and c - 500ml
  • Indulgent moisturising hand lotion enriched with vitamin a, b and c - 500ml
  • an arcylic holder for both bottles to be stored in

Both the lotion and the hand wash carry the sweet mandarin and grapefruit scent and can be bought individually or as part of a gift set. Each product has a 12month shelf life. The lotion and hand wash are presented in matching, clear and chunky bottles with the trademark Baylis and Harding black writing. The silver neck of each bottle is finished off with a pump dispenser. The holder is clear and states 'Baylis and Harding' to the front of it. The complete set is presented in a neutral coloured box.
Price and Availability
Baylis and Harding sets are stocked (mainly at Christmas) in stores such as Semi Chem/Savers. At the moment, this set can be purchased online :
  • www.baylisandharding.com - £5.00
  • Amazon - £10.00 (works out a lot cheaper buying individually)
My Thoughts

Baylis and Harding isn't a brand I would go out of my way to buy for myself but the gift sets make ideal presents at Christmas time! The design of the Baylis and Harding range is very similar to Molten Brown but of course, a fair bit cheaper! My Mum gave me this gift set as a little 'extra' in with my birthday earlier this year and having used up my stock of hand washes, I relieved this set from its place in my wardrobe last month.

The holder itself is of a high quality and stores the bottles neatly. Due to the chunky size of the bottles, the holder is quite wide and therefore doesn't sit properly on my sink so I have it sitting on the window ledge. The pump dispensers work efficiently and do need to be pressed a few times initially to allow the liquid to shoot up the bottle. I don't apply hand lotion every time I wash my hands as sometimes it simply isn't practical. This does mean the hand wash will run out quicker than the hand lotion but they don't essentially need to be used as a set anyway.
Washing Those Hands!

The hand wash is a sort of champagne colour and transparent. It is a very thin liquid inside the bottle and a few squirts are required to full cleanse my hands. This hand wash is very gentle on my hands and my young son has used it too with no adverse effects. It produces a pleasant, soft lather and has a gentle, calm smell. I would have expected it to smell a lot stronger and sharp and citrussy but the scent is very subtle and doesn't linger. My hands feel clean and fairly soft after using this hand wash but it isn't very effective on dirty hands ie if you have been in the garden getting them dirty!

Soft and Pampered Hands

I must admit, I do favour a thick, intensive hand cream over a lotion but this one is decent enough to use whenever I want to soften my hands. The hand lotion is a creamy white colour and is very liquidy. It spreads well allowing a small amount to coat my hands and finger nails. I used too much one day and regretted it as my hands became really slippy and sticky. A tiny blob is sufficient to soften my hands for a short while but it isn't very intensive and doesn't have much effect on dry areas. It is kind to my sensitive hands. The scent is a little more evident in lotion form but isn't any spectacular at all and I wouldn't describe this lotion as being indulgent or pampering.
Conclusion

Overall this is a nice set and worth a few pounds but not anymore. I personally favour stronger scented hand washes/lotions which leave my hands feeling and smelling clean. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy this set - the scent is too subtle and there isn't anything special about these products compared to the likes of Carex and Original Source hand washes. The effects of each individual product are short lived. The subtle scent allows this set to be gender neutral and suitable for the whole family to use.

4 stars - thanks for reading :)

• Jake_Speed published 21/05/2012
    Expertly done.
  • greenierexyboy published 21/05/2012
    It sounds like a firm of plumbers.
  • supersonic75 published 19/05/2012
    E - superb review very in depth and full of detail x