Be Our Guest, Orlando

Review of "Be Our Guest, Orlando"

published 19/12/2017 | Secre
Member since : 23/04/2003
Journalling more for myself than anything else now, so I don't expect reads or rates!
Pro Good food, lovely atmosphere
Cons Queuing?
Standard of Menu
Atmosphere
Standard of Service
Cleanliness

"Be Their Guest!"

Be Our Guest, Orlando

Be Our Guest is one of the sit down restaurants at Disney’s Magic Kingdom, and for anyone who doesn’t recognise the Disney reference, is themed around Beauty and the Beast which has that as one of its highlight songs. Be Our Guest is a restaurant that has a very different feel depending on what time of day you go; there are different menu’s and service style for breakfast, lunch and dinner – and they are priced differently to reflect whether there is full table service. Lunch (when we went) is therefore cheaper than breakfast or dinner.

Getting Served 8/10

Be Our Guest is a restaurant where you have to book a time slot in order to have a space, and this is regardless of whether you are looking for breakfast, dinner or tea. We had a 1pm booking and it was very important to turn up on time otherwise you would miss your slot. You whizz your Magic Band past the guy at the front and then queue for a short while to get into the restaurant and then inside the restaurant itself. I think we probably queued for about ten minutes, and I would anticipate this is fairly stable at all times of day due to the booking process. We were lucky to get a place actually as there was only one slot free the evening before.

As mentioned above, your experience will differ depending on whether you go at breakfast, lunch or dinner. For breakfast and dinner it is sit down table service I believe, with orders being taken at the table, whilst for lunch you gave your order at a counter at the end of the queue and then went and found a table. It was fairly painless and easy, although certainly had a ‘theme park’ feel to the experience rather than a luxury feel. I suspect had we gone in the evening that would have been different. Food is still brought to your table, but it’s done in more of a canteen like way in the afternoon.
The Menu 9/10

Beauty and the Beast is set in France, so it should therefore be no surprise to find that the menu is based on a French dining experience. It’s worth noting that American restaurants don’t really seem to do starters; they use the word entrée to refer to the main course!

The menu for lunch ranges from $12.99 (£9.73) for the Vegetable Quiche with mushroom, zucchini, bell pepper, onion and chive quiche served with baby lettuce and champagne vinaigrette to $16.99 {£12.72) for a range of items including Eight hour slow cooked pork with mushrooms, onions, carrots and bacon served with mashed potatoes and green bean jardinière. Other options include carved turkey sandwich for $15.99 (£11.97), croque monsieur for $13.99 (£10.47) and French dip sandwich for $16.99. There are a few fish and vegetarian options. Puddings are all $4.99 (£3.74) and includes chocolate cream puff, eclair a l’orange and lemon meringue cupcake amongst others.

Breakfast seems to be a standard price of $25 (£18.72) and includes a typical continental range including ¬_Assorted Cured Meats and Cheese_ or Croissant Doughnut which is a fried doughnut topped with banana caramel sauce, pastry crème and chocolate ganache served with fresh fruit and a selection of pastries, Croque Madam, an open ham sandwich topped with a fried egg, gruyere cheese and béchamel, once again with fruit and pastries. All in all, whilst expensive, it certainly looks as though you get your money worth from it. Desert has one option only and that is The Master’s Cupcake which is a chocolate sponge cake topped with Lumiere’s special ‘Grey Stuff’ at $4.99.

The dinner menu is similar to the lunch but significantly higher priced and with more fanfare to it; as one would expect from table service instead of quick service. The menu ranges from $21 (£15.73) with a Layered Ratatouille which is oven baked zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, tomatoes and caramelised onions sliced on quinoa served with a bell pepper sauce up to $35 (£26.22) for the Grilled Strip Steak. In between this are several meat options including Roasted Pork Tenderloin with cauliflower silk, sautéed greens and turnips and a cherry mustard sauce and a couple of fish options. Vegetarian options seem to be limited to the one above. Puddings are $5 and you can buy ‘The Grey Stuff’ as an individual pudding.

The Eatings 9/10

I had the braised pork and my husband had the French dip sandwich and we were both highly impressed by the quality of the food, although I was somewhat flabberghasted by the sheer amount of meat on my plate. Honestly, it was enough to give a sumo wrestler meat sweats! The pork was lovely and tender and melted in the mouth, the mashed potato and gravy were both lovely and tasty and I really enjoyed the beans, although there could have been more of them and less of the meat for my taste! This is however America…

My husband declared the French Dip sandwich more than satisfactory and finished it off with gusto, although again the sheer amount of meat on the plate was quite astonishing. He very much enjoyed it though and that is what matters. The chips were done to perfection. We had an orange éclair between us for pudding and I’m glad we did share a pudding as I certainly couldn’t have eaten one to myself. This was tasty enough although nothing particularly special.

All in all, there was a lot of very good food presented to us here and although the drinks weren’t refillable officially, nobody seemed to be keeping check on us and we got several refills free of charge.

Ambiance and Environment 8/10

The restaurant is well themed, with gargoyle statues outside the restaurant and fancy looking heavy gates with the coat of arms on them. The cast members are dressed and pressed and there are two really impressive lion statues in stone or fake stone outside the main entrance. It certainly looks the part and is cleverly themed, but this is Disney so what did you expect? They don’t do things by halves here! The inside theming has suits of armour and a look of an 18th century fine house with wooden beams and hanging down lamps to add to the ambiance.

The actual dining area is a huge hall which was astronomically difficult to picture due to the poor lighting, but had a truly magical feel to it. The canteen style food took away from this somewhat, so if and when we come back to Disney World I think we will book in advance to ensure we have an evening place to try it out when there is full table service. I gather it is also set out differently in the evening and would have more of an upper class high meal feel to it. You could certainly imagine the main room being used as a ballroom however and there are also side rooms which are used for dining as well.
Pricing 10/10

At $17 for the most expensive lunch item, this is actually really reasonably priced, particularly in light of the fact that it is a sit down experience and has no tip expectation attached to it. When you include the ability to refill drinks, this makes me wonder if I ought to give it bonus points! Consider that a regular soda on park is $4.50, that really isn’t a bad perk at all!

Pricing for breakfast and dinner is far higher, but this is full table service and so to be expected

Do We Recommend? 44/50; 88%

Yes, we do. The food was delicious if perhaps a little meat heavy. We were somewhat disappointed that lunch wasn’t full table service, but then the price reflected this and I can’t take any points off for that. Would we go again? Yes. And we’d go for the more expensive dinner service, which says quite a lot in and of itself.

• Soho_Black published 15/01/2018
    I love American portion sizes!
  • torr published 20/12/2017
    Sounds good.
  • Westy4 published 20/12/2017
    Exceptionally well written review and useful scores.

Product Information : Be Our Guest, Orlando