bluejules 3

bluejules

About me: Also bluejules on dooyoo and my reviews usually also appear there. Struggling to upload photos onto my Crowne Plaza review - will keep trying!

Member since:17.06.2003

Good Food, Poor Service

29.03.2008 (28.03.2008)

Advantages:
Good food, reasonably priced

Disadvantages:
Poor service

Recommendable No:

1. doubleheman
  1. KateHurst
  2. TheIncredibleCheeseSandwich
  3. jojo2411

Last week it was my Grandma and Grandad's Golden Wedding anniversary. We wanted to do something special to celebrate so we decided to take them out for a meal. We decided to go here and we met my sister and her husband at about 7pm. We had not been here since it became a Beefeater but we were there years ago when I believe it was a Brewster's.

Where is it?

The Moor Farm Beefeater is located off the roundabout, junction A19/A189 south of Cramlington, Northumberland. It is located near the Premier Travel Inn.

It is part of the Beefeater chain of restaurants that are located throughout the UK.

The Menu

We booked our table in the restaurant (there is an option to eat in the bar) and we were given a large round table for the seven of us.

There is a large selection of food, mainly grilled meat and steak (it is a Beefeater) but there is a selection of fish and chicken and there are 3 vegetarian dishes.

= Starters =

There is a selection of 14 starters ranging from prawn cocktail or soup of the day to pork ribs or chicken. The prices range from £2.99 to £7.99 depending on the starter. There are 3 vegetarian options. None of our party opted for a starter so I cannot comment on the quality of the food.

= Salads =

There is a selection of 3 salads, which are all suitable for vegetarians. They are priced between £5.99 and £7.99.

You can top the salads with a grilled chicken breast, salmon fillet, skewered prawns or koftas for just £1 extra.

= Ultimate Grills =

There is a good selection here, including Venison, Lamb and Sirloin steak, ranging between £11.99 and £19.99.

= Steaks and Burgers =

All the steaks are served with chips and either a mixed salad or half a tomato and a flat mushroom.

There is a selection of steaks (rib eye, sirloin, fillet and rump) and a choice of 2 beef burgers. £7.99-£13.25

My dad had a steak and he really enjoyed it. He asked for it well done and that's how it was served.

= Meat, Fish and Vegetables =
There is a wide selection here, from sea bass fillets to a minted loin of lamb. This is also where the vegetarian choices are. £7.50 - £11.99

My sister and her husband both opted for a mixed a grill, which looked delicious. They both enjoyed them and the plate was full with a selection of grilled meat. I thought about having this as it included gammon. I chose something else but my sister gave me a piece of her gammon as she had loads and it was really tasty.

= Sunday Roast =

These are only available on Sundays but as that was the day of the week in which we went, 4 of our party had a Sunday roast. There is a choice of beef, lamb or chicken. I had the chicken, which was really nice. It was half a roast chicken and there was so much I struggled to eat it. I think the other three member of our group had the lamb, which they too enjoyed. The Sunday roasts are £7.99 but you can go large on the beef or lamb roast for an extra £2.

= Set Deals =

There is a selection of set deals served in the evenings Monday-Thursday from 6.30pm. £9.95 for 2 courses or £11.95 for three.

= Deserts =

There is a selection of 14 deserts. We all had a desert; I had ice cream with red berries and a raspberry sauce. It was really nice ice cream and the berries finished it off lovely. Everyone enjoyed their deserts (although my mam didn't like the fact the sticky toffee pudding had raisins in)

There is a children's menu available as well.

Overall the food was really nice. The meat was cooked well and the chips and vegetables tasted fresh. We had to wait a while for the food to be served but we had heard before we went that the food is cooked from fresh and it did taste like it had been. We stopped eating at our local Brewster's as the meals there just tasted like they had been cooked in the microwave. It was definitely nicer here.

Service

The service was far from ideal. We waited about 40 minutes for our food, which seeing as it is cooked from fresh we didn't mind too much. When we were waiting we asked for some more drinks. About 15 minutes later they appeared. When they came to collect our plates we asked for another drink. We waited for about 10 minutes and it still hadn't appeared. We asked again when they brought the desert menu and the waiter was surprised to find we didn't already have it. He said he would get it straight away. When they brought the deserts about 20minutes later we told them we no longer wanted the drink and they still didn't even realise we didn't have it.

There was only us and one other couple in the restaurant at the time and on our way out we saw that the waiter and waitresses were just stood talking.

It was a real shame that the service was so poor as the food was absolutely delicious so the service spoiled the night. We wouldn't have minded if it had been busy but as it was so quiet it appeared that the serving staff were just being lazy.
== Price ==

It cost just about £110 for 7 main courses, deserts and 9 drinks (some soft, some alcoholic), which works out at about £15 each.

Atmosphere

There wasn't much of an atmosphere due to it being nearly empty (it was a Sunday evening) but I think the décor and size of the place has the potential to have a nice atmosphere when it is busier.

Overall

We had an enjoyable night out as the company was good and the food was delicious. It was just a shame the service let it down. I am in no hurry to go back but I might go back at some point. It certainly wouldn't be my first choice of restaurants.

Thanks for reading! x

KateHurst 17.07.2009 22:50

A pity about the inadequate service - when I stacked shelves, a huge amount of emphasis was put on customer service so I think it's a shame when I hear of other places that aren't so keen. The food sounds lovely, though!

TheIncredibleCheeseSandwich 27.07.2008 17:19

yeah that time of night on Sundays is where the pubs tend to have to drag some of their employees in, and they're not too bothered. Shame, I would have refused to pay some of it just to see what they did.

doubleheman 25.06.2008 00:00

Very good I have never ate here I will some day though.