Review of "Begonias"

published 10/03/2002 | bwanamdevu
Member since : 08/12/2000
Back on Ciao after an absence of 9 years! Gradually getting back into the swing of things! And a new profile piccie that is not years old!
Pro Hopefully will last an awful long time.
Cons Have this habit of dying.
Ease of Care

"Potted Plants Versus Cut Flowers."

It`s Mothers Day once again here in the U.K. I know that it occurs a lot later in N.America so please forgive me if you are reading it over there.

It`s rare for me to write an opinion completely off the top of my head , I usually plan quite carefully before submitting hence my very low number of submissions, but here goes anyway.

Birthdays,anniversaries and Mothers Day are great events in the florists trade.They account for a sizeable quantity of plants and flowers sold throughout the year.

On this Mothers Day,as I usually do,I wanted to give my wife a card and some flowers as I normally do. Her birthday was only a few days ago, chocolates were bought then and too much of a good (or bad !) thing are ,as the saying goes.......

I was going to buy cut flowers but something at the back of my mind said no ! Get a potted plant!

Flowers are supposed to reflect the love that one individual has for another, so allow me to explain my sentimental reasons for not buying "cut" ones and getting an absolutely beautiful begonia in full flower.

Cut flowers look wonderful, but no matter what you do with them they will die eventually and be thrown away.

Love is not something that should die between a couple so I feel that a flowering plant best represents it.

A pot plant will grow and not die - just like the love between you should mature and continue to grow.

Every so often,blossom will emerge from the plant,lighting it up,just like in real love when little things,like a simple smile, will emerge out of your love to reaffirm it and to light up your life.

A plant needs constant attention and careful feeding to continue to survive - how similar this is to true love when the things we do help to maintain affection and the bond between us.

Sometimes with a potted plant,disaster occurs and the plant is attacked by disease,drought,overwatering or too little feeding.All may not be lost for I have successfully rescued plants in this condition before .

With love,it goes through rocky periods but always, there is hope that where life survives, the love can be rekindled and grow anew.

I realise that as a man ,what I`ve written may seem very soppy and wet to other chaps but I hope that a little bit of my thoughts have been conveyed to those of you who understand and that you will reflect on these musings.

• sandemp published 06/07/2011
    Very little about the actual plant
  • herby30 published 05/10/2003
    Me and plants don't seem to go, I just have to look at them and they curl up and die lol, Heather:)
  • jilmil published 19/07/2002
    My father loves begonias and he has a whole collection ofthem up inthe mountains !! :) Happiness always, Pallavi