Behind the Music - Soundtrack of Our Lives (The)

Behind the Music - Soundtrack of Our Lives (The)

Rock & Pop - StudioRecording - 1 CD(s) - Label: Warner Bros. - Distributor: Arvato Services; Proper - Released: 04/02/2002 - 685738671526

Review of "Behind the Music - Soundtrack of Our Lives (The)"

published 28/05/2009 | SpookyMoon
Member since : 22/06/2008
Satisfactory
Pro Easy to listen to.1or2 really good songs on this album.Bit psych-pop reminiscent of the 60s.
Cons Blends easily into the background and nothing different really.Bit pretensious and samey.
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"Behind The Music - Soundtrack Of Our Lives"

Soundtrack Of Our Lives are the kind of band that I would really like to be able to rate highly. On paper they work, dubbed the band to bring the psych-pop of the 60s to a new level, in actuality I am not at all convinced.

Ebbot Lundberg(Vocals) and Bjorn Olsson(guitar) have a musical CV that boasts having created some really great bands (Union Carbide Productions) amongst other really good musical experience. Like I say on paper they are totally employable.

Vocally they are harmonious and melodic in just the right quantities and musically they are too. The album sounds well recorded and their music isnt bad at all. But the main problem I have with this album is that blends so easily into the background-even at heavier points in the album and with punchier lyrical points in the album (Sister Surround-'Im not afraid to fall').

But do they rock like the Stooges? I dont think so, even though nearly all the other reviews I have read say they do. The high point for me on this album are the tracks In Someone Elses Mind and Mind The Gap, which sounds a bit kooky musically and vocally feels smooth and fat all at once. Although Someone Elses Mind sounds good, please dont listen to the lyrics too much because I really think you will be dissapointed. But in the song Mind The Gap they manage to achieve lyrically some pretty catchy and insightful lyrics which I wish you could say of the other songs on this album. The best lyric and indeed a great line is 'Dont throw your pearsl at swine' which is followed shortly after by a really charming airy string/percussion meddlie.

To summarise though, I am sorry to say that this album is a bit pretensious and a bit pointless but then I do think many will dissagree with me.

Summary: This is definitely not the soundtrack to my life!

• retireduser published 21/06/2009