Beko WM5100S

Beko WM5100S

Freestanding - Front Loading - Energy Efficiency: A - Max Capacity: 5 kg - Width: 59.5 cm

Review of "Beko WM5100S"

published 31/01/2010 | Sarahjh1
Member since : 02/11/2008
Pro A 30 minute wash cycle.
Cons Nothing major.
Performance
User's Manual
Maintenance

"Very BEKOming."

I think there are six words that a woman just dreads to hear – the washing machine has packed up.
A couple of weeks ago my six year old Indesit decided that it had had enough and in total despair I searched around on the Internet to find a run of the mill machine that came in at a reasonable price.
I went onto all of the usual websites, Currys, B and Q, Argos, Tesco, Co-Op and Comet.
I saw a Proline washing machine at a very good price but I personally had never heard of the make so I was a bit dubious and the product had no reviews.
Then next in line were the Beko models which were all competitively priced, I have not had a Beko model before but family members have and they have had no problems.
I ended up ordering the Beko WM5100 in a white finish and that cost me £199 with free delivery.

The washing machine arrived and as usual we had to install it. The machine is a cold water fill and it is fairly simple to install really, you just fix the hose to the cold water supply, put the drain hose into the outlet pipe, earth it, level the feet and plug the washing machine in. This is a standard machine with a 5kg tub but I was quite surprised to see just how slimline it is .
The Beko WM500 is in a white finish and as soon as you look at it you realise that it is not going to take a degree in electronics to be able to work it.

The Beko washing machine has just one main control knob in the centre of the control panel and some smaller buttons that you press for what are called the auxiliary functions ( pre-wash, extra rinse, spin speed, no spin, no heat and rinse hold ).
The on and off button sits beside the auxiliary function buttons and the dispenser drawer sits to the left hand side of the control panel. Interestingly enough the dispenser drawer is quite different from the one on my old indesit model, the powder compartment is on the left hand side of the drawer so I have to make sure that I don't fill the pre-wash compartment by mistake.

Once you have got the washing machine up and running from then on it is all pretty much plain sailing. The auxiliary function buttons are easy to understand and you just load the machine, add the powder ( softener if you use it ), close the door and then select the appropriate programme.
When you load the washing machine for the first time you will notice that the door has been designed to open right back to allow you lots of room to load up.
The drum will hold 5kg, this is plenty big enough for us but maybe a larger family would consider a bigger sized drum.

My first wash was a hot wash and any hot wash is usually a long one. The Beko model is no different, the wash was long as I expected. The machine ran smoothly and when it went into spin it was not too noisy. The first load of washing that christened the machine came out fine.
But a lot of my laundry justs needs freshening up and this machine has a 30 minute wash which I soon decided would be one of my favourite cycles.
The 30 minute wash is really good for lightly soiled clothes though I did notice that the clothes were not quite as well spun as when I initially did my first white wash. Saying that the clothes were still ready to hang on the clothes horse and the fabrics were less creased.

My Indesit washing machine was a basic model too but I have noticed a couple of functions that the Beko has to offer that the Indesit didn't.
For example, if you load the machine and then start it and then decide that you wasn't to change the programme you can do it, the manual has good clear guidelines that explain the whole process from start to finish.
Another handy feature is the machine allows to to stop it when it is in use and add anything you may have forgotten to put in, again this process is explained in the users manual.
The machine has a childproof lock, so if you activate this then little fingers cannot come along and push buttons and mess about with the programmer.
Once the machine has completed its cycle the door then remains locked until the indicator light goes off.

I am happy with the thought that I can reduce the spin speed on the machine, some fabrics need far more spinning than others and this spin speed control allows me to take care of my woollens and delicates.

The filter is situated at the bottom of the machine under the plastic plate that can easily be removed.

So far, so good. The Beko WM5100 is easy to install and easy to work and that suits me down to the ground. I am very happy that it has the thirty minute wash because that suits my needs.
I suppose we must take into account that this machine is a basic model and as such it may not have some of the functions that come with a more expensive washing machine, I know one of my previous washing machines had a cycle for washing training shoes.
The drum holds just the 5 kg so a larger family may prefer a bigger drum.
I am only going to use the machine maybe once a day or less, so I am not expecting the machine to be a real workhorse, though I am sure that Beko makes sure they are tested rigorously before they leave the factory.
All of the specifications are listed below and if you choose this model I hope that you will find this review of some help.

Specifications.
Maximum capacity – 5kg.
Height – 84 cms.
Depth – 45 cms.
Width – 60 cms.
Net weight – 60kg.
Electricity - ( V/Hz) 230V/50Hz.
Total power - (W) 2200.
Total current – (A) 10.
Spinning cycle ( rpm max ) 1000.

Review on Dooyoo under user name Emmald

• hillhead published 01/02/2010
    Great info. This sounds good.
  • JOE.B published 01/02/2010