Drying Device

Review of "Beldray Clothes Airer"

published 30/08/2015 | catsholiday
Member since : 03/03/2003
Reviews : 1982
Sad to see this site no longer paying. Thanks to everyone for reading and rating over the years and hope not to lose touch with long term ciaoers.
Pro light, folds flat, easy to set up. hold a lot of washing
Cons Blows over when windy when used outside
Do you need to use much for each clean?
Irritable to skin?
Longlasting effects?

"Airing my smalls on my Beldray clothes airer"

Beldray Clothes Airer

When we moved house one of the things that went to the tip was an old clothes arier I used inside to dry clothes in front of our coal fire. It was a three sectioned arier that had become three separate individual flat sections held together with pegs! I thought it had done its time and was one item we didn’t need to store and move into our new house.

Having been in the house for a while I decided that we needed to replace that airer with a more useful one.

THINGS I WANTED IN MY AIRER

My criteria were that it must fold flat.

It must be easy to take outside and bring in even when full of washing as I use it outside if the weather is uncertain. I then bring the whole thing fully loaded inside which saves me unpegging lots of small items if it starts to rain.

It must be reasonably strong and easy to fold and unfold.

It must be able to fit in our sunroom as that is where I will be drying clothes in winter when the weather is inclement.

It must be able to fit alongside a radiator if needed so that I can dry clothes a bit quicker if needed.

It must be able to hold more than just a few small items, a whole wash load if needs be.

BUYING MY AIRER

I looked around at a few shops and di a lot of price comparisons as I was not really in any hurry to buy the item. I discovered that these things ranged in price hugely and some were really expensive for a pretty basic piece of kit.

These Beldray airers I found ranged from around £20 to £30 so there was no way I was paying the top end and I continued to look around in case I found a better one or a more reasonable price.

I visited my great little rather random discount shop one day and lucky for me they had two of these airers at £12 each so that went straight into my trolley and I was very chuffed with my bargain.

USING THE AIRER

The instructions were in picture and also good English and it just showed how to unfold and fold the arier nothing more.
This folds completely flat and tucks into a neat space my clever husband has made for the ironing board. They both fit in perfectly.

This airer unfolds so easily. You just flip out the side extensions then pull out the sliding section until the two legs are extended. It stands very well on flat surfaces but tends to blow over when on the lawn and it is windy but a chair fixed onto the legs stops that we have found.

The top part if flat with around seven lines across it so that you can use it to dry delicate things like woollen jumpers flat or use the lines to hang things from. The two extending sections can also be used the same way and they too have five lines that you can use on each extension.

The whole thing measure 178 cm wide, around 1 metre high and 50 cm across. In total there are 18 metres of drying lines so I find I can put a pretty decent amount on there. I tend to use it for smaller items such as undies and socks, T shirts etc rather than sheets and towels. It does however make a good towel drying rack when you need to air a few towels and the radiators are not on.

It is very light which is probably why it blows over when windy as the clothes make it top heavy. I like the fact it is light as I can easily flop the two extensions over even when I have clothes pegged on them then I can carry it inside full of damp clothes and then extend the arms again so that everything can finish drying inside if needs be.

I find that I do need to hang things carefully because if you hand everything on one extension it tips up so I hang things in the middle section first or balance things by hanging a few things at each end at the same time.

You can just flop things over the lines but I find that clothes dry better when I peg them onto the lines.

It does warn you not to let little fingers get in the way when folding and unfolding the airer as the sliding part could catch and hurt them.

It had small rubber grippy parts on the legs to stop it sliding around inside which is handy and it stops the metal getting worn too I suppose.

It is a perfect height for my to hang things on while standing which is also a bonus as I have had a bad back recently and this meant no bending if I put the basket of clothes on a chair beside me while hanging them up.

RECOMMENDED?

I am very happy with my airer and even if I had paid £20 I would have been happy but at £12 I am delighted. I fits all the criteria I listed. My only slight irritation is that it blows over outside when windy but knowing that I can sort the problem quite easily but the first time all the clothes got dirty again which was annoying as I was out when it happened.

Ciao seems to think this is a washing powder so the criteria are a bit weird so just ignore them

Thanks for reading.