Belkin Components Belkin F5L028 Laptop Cooling Lounge

Belkin Components Belkin F5L028 Laptop Cooling Lounge

Review of "Belkin Components Belkin F5L028 Laptop Cooling Lounge"

published 01/01/2011 | DanielFullard
Member since : 21/04/2010
Please ignore the picture....I was drunk, very drunk!!!
Satisfactory
Pro Keeps laptop cool ish
Cons Expensive, uses laptop power
Reliability
Ease of Use

"Cool? I think not"

One of the major problems I have with the laptop I am currently using is the fact that it heats up very quickly, especially when charging in use. The heat is often too much for my poor legs which I rest on and also makes me hot and sweaty which isn't ideal!

Therefore I stumbled on this product actually courtesy of dooyoo and having previously had good experiences with the Belkin range of products I opted to buy it as I felt the £20 I paid was a fair price for something which would ease my extensive laptop use as well as help keep my laptop alive longer!

The device comes as a stylish and simple black almost square board. It is easy to transport and easy to place on flat surfaces, knees or wherever else you may use your laptop. Its quite solid and sturdy and feels well made and durable, so will survive the occasional drop, which in my case is very often!

The device functions quite simply with a small miniature fan in the centre of the board which blows cool air into the base of the machine to help keep the temperature down. And it works! I noticed straight away the back end of the base of my laptop which usually heats to the temperatures a radiator would be at was significantly cooler. It was still hot and still remained hot throughout but there was a significant difference in the temperature.

One of the problems I did have was that when not listening to music or having any tv or such like on, the noise from the fan did become very distracting as my laptop is usually almost silent at running but the fan makes a distinctive and noticeable noise which can be off putting. I suppose this is going to be a hazard in any such product but something I did not think about.

Also as a negative it uses the laptop power which means nowadays I am tending to leave my laptop plugged in all the time as with a 2hour battery life for normal use, with this added its down to 100 minutes or so if working on a project tendency is to keep it plugged in hence causing more heat which gives the station more to deal with.

All in all I feel this has been a worthwhile investment in some respects as it has cooled down my laptop but I would urge caution as the noise and fact it drains laptop power does effect my enjoyment of it. For the price I would suggest looking elsewhere first before investing in this Belkin model!

Cool? I think not