Hotel - 9 Mokoroa Street, Te Anau - 18 Rooms

Review of "Bella Vista Motel, Te Anau"

published 06/01/2015 | anwar
Member since : 30/04/2003
All reads gratefully received! If I miss you give me a shout! Thanks for the premium fund ciao!
Pro conveniet location for Fjordland national park, good value, clean and comfortable
Cons no lake view
Quality of Rooms
Standard of Service
Quality of Food & Drink
Cleanliness

"The gateway to Fjordland"

Bella Vista Motel, Te Anau

I have recently returned from an amazing trip to New Zealand. The trip took me months to plan and I aimed to use a variety of accommodation including hotels, motels and self catering options. At the top of my must do list was an overnight trip on the remote and beautiful Doubtful sound on the South Island. I planned to stay for 1 night in Te Anau and then travel to the sound the next day. I researched all my accommodation choices carefully and The Bella Vista was my choice for Te Anau. The choice was made as it was reasonably priced, had good trip advisor reviews and would allow me to leave my hire car in their car park during our planned overnight trip on Doubtful sound.

Te Anau.
************

Te Anau is located on South Island on the eastern shores of lake Te Anau.We travelled from Arrowtown and really enjoyed the gorgeous mountain scenery on route. Te Anau is a small town with a population of under 2,000. It is considered a gateway town for visiting Fjordland national park that includes highlights such as Milford and Doubtful sound. There are good walking trails in the area and beautiful views of the nearby mountains.

The town has a good range of shops and a large supermarket. It also has a range of cafes and even a small cinema. Lake Te Anau is the second largest in New Zealand and has several accessible walking trails. We also enjoyed the free (small) wildlife park where you can see the endangered Takahe bird.

The motel.
*************

Bella Vista is a New Zealand chain of motels with 27 locations on both the North and South Island. All the buildings are single design with cream paintwork and red brick roofs. If you are looking for character then this chain may not be for you!

The Bella Vista in Te Anau is on Mokoroa Street, a quiet residential street overlooking a small park. It does not have a view of the Lake. It is a pleasant 5 minute walk to the town and the Lake shore.

The motel has free parking with decent sized spaces (important for me)! We were greeted by the very friendly owner on arrival and given a discount pass for the small cinema to watch a highly acclaimed Fjordland film. We were also given a small carton of complimentary milk as is the norm in New Zealand motels.

The motel has 18 units sleeping from 2 to 6. We opted for a unit sleeping 3 and paid around £80 for 1 night.

There is a guest laundry with cloths line. We were happy to have free, fast wi-fi.

The unit.
***********

Our unit was on the upstairs floor and it was quite a mission to carry our heavy bags up the steep stairs. However once inside the room was a decent size with a queen double plus single bed. The room has a small kitchenette with microwave, kettle and toaster. The room also has a fried and sink. Cutely, crockery and glasses were also provided. The room has a desk with chairs that were useful for eating our picnic style meal. There was a good selection of complimentary tea, coffee and hot chocolate.

The en suite bathroom was roomy and contained a shower with good water pressure. The toilet and hand basin were spotlessly clean and complimentary toiletries were a welcome touch.

The beds were made up using quality cotton sheets and there was an electric blanket available if needed (we didn't) The room also has a sky TV with numerous channels. After walking around the Lake and preparing a meal we were too tired to bother with any TV.

The verdict.
*************

We were very happy with our stay at this motel as it provided for our needs well. The room was very comfortable although had we been staying for longer I would have wanted more space. The motel is in a very quiet location so there is no traffic noise. However there is no Lake view and this would have been good.

The owners are really friendly, allowing us to leave our car in the car park overnight and placing my laptop and passports in their safe. We were collected in the morning by coach for our once in a lifetime trip on Doubtful sound- but that’s another review!

• sirodar published 12/05/2015
    I love your reviews of holiday stuff - one day, when I grow up I too would like a holiday! My kids are exhausting!
  • euphie published 16/01/2015