Ben & Jerry's Caramel Chew Chew

Ben & Jerry's Caramel Chew Chew

Swirls of caramel and chocolate-covered caramel chunks swimming in a sea of caramel ice cream.

Review of "Ben & Jerry's Caramel Chew Chew"

published 14/11/2001 | Pumpkin
Member since : 28/04/2001
Pro Delicious flavour
Cons Expensive and fattening!
Smell
Product Quality

"It's cold, it's creamy, it must be..."

More ice cream I am afraid! Well, the new Food and Drink category has left me a lot of catching up to do! I have already exhausted the possibilities for writing about my favourite music, films, make-up and websites, and have to rack my brains for new subjects in those sections, but now I can write about my favourite foods – and there are a lot of different ice creams on the list to get through before I can even consider writing about any other kind of food!

Caramel Chew Chew is fairly unusual in the Ben and Jerry’s stakes as it focuses ALMOST entirely on one flavour (caramel). The majority of the other flavours mix together all sorts of different combinations of fruit, chocolate, caramel, nuts etc. but this one is perhaps a bit more suited to those people who prefer not to be quite so adventurous in their ice cream consumption, but still value the finer things in life when it comes to ice cream!

The ice cream itself is a delicate caramel flavour and is rich, without being too sweet or sickly. Getting the balance between richness and sweetness is something at which Ben and Jerry are real experts! It is a pale golden colour and could almost be mistaken for cornish vanilla at first glance!

Throughout the ice cream are swirls of caramel sauce. These used to be so plentiful that you would get delicious little pockets of sauce which would literally flow out when you put your spoon into the ice cream, but lately they have been a little more scarce (see my Phish Food op for details!) I just hope this is a minor blip in Ben and Jerry’s otherwise unblemished ice cream producing record!

The piece de resistance of this flavour is the plentiful chocolate coated caramels which are also distributed throughout the ice cream. Okay, a bit of chocolate has crept in here, so some real caramel purists may be put off, but stay with me – it’s worth it! The caramels can be best described as tiny versions of the Caramel Keg sweet which has been in Cadbury’s Roses for years. They are not the same shape, they are actually more similar to the old Orange Crème in shape, but on a smaller scale. However, the milk chocolate and caramel combination is very similar (although the caramel is slightly less runny), and these make a delicious treat as you eat your way through a bowl (or tub!) of the ice cream.

One other thing I really like about Ben and Jerry’s ice cream is the weird and wacky names they come up with. These names just say ‘fun’ to me – unlike some of the other higher priced brands which go for the more pretentious, ‘cut above the rest’ type names. As far as I am concerned ice cream should be fun and I don’t like a brand which takes itself too seriously!!!

Once again, this flavour comes in 500ml tubs and is available from some larger supermarkets, some cinemas and even Border’s bookshops, which have started selling the smaller individual sized tubs. Not my absolute favourite, but definitely one to look out for if you need a break from chocolate but can’t bear to tear yourself totally away from it!

• mbmb11 published 16/11/2001
    sOUNDS GOOOOD! Mel x
  • MR.COATES published 16/11/2001
    Thanks, now you've made me drool all over my keyboard! My fave still has to be the Haagn Dazs Cookie Dough one, god I love that stuff....
  • tange published 16/11/2001
    I'm getting hungrier and hungrier!!!