Ben & Jerrys Phish Food Frozen Yoghurt

Ben & Jerrys Phish Food Frozen Yoghurt

Review of "Ben & Jerrys Phish Food Frozen Yoghurt"

published 08/04/2011 | daisyleee
Member since : 07/04/2011
Good
Pro Nice treat for anyone watching there weight
Cons Expensive, too sweet
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"Less fat, more taste"

When i saw the advertisement of this, i was actually beaming! As a girl who counts calories religiously, i've always avoided Ben & Jerry's at all costs, due to the high fat and sugar. But here this was, telling me there was a now a new, light version. The next day on my way home, I decided to pop into sainsburys and pick it up.

I recognised it straight away from the other flavours on display by its bright pinky purple colour, drawing me in straight away. I was easily able to see which was the low fat one, as it is labeled as 'Frozen Yogurt'. I was slightly shocked at the price, to say the least! £4 for a 500ml tub seemed very overpriced, but i decided non the less to try it and dropped it into the trolley.

I got home and had my tea, then got it out of the freezer and waited patiently for it to melt, which may i add seemed like ages! Upon opening it there's a slight chocolatey smell but it's not very strong and doesn't smell like anything special. I dug my spoon in after 10 minutes of waiting for it to melt and noticed it was slightly hard still. I put a large scoop into a bowl and sat down infront of Eastenders. The yoghurt is the same texture and appearence of icecream, with a chocolatey colour to it and small white bits. The white bits are actually melted marshmellow, which are extremely sweet and somewhat over the top, but when blended with the chocolatey taste very nice. On the packaging it says that there's caramel in it, but i was unable to taste or see any. Another unique point to this product is the chocolate fish, which i'm guessing is why it's called 'phish food'. They're alot smaller than i expected and taste very sugary more than chocolatey but go with the taste of the icecream well. They're very hard and don't seem to melt, so they're quite crunchy. I found because of the coldness of the ice cream on my tounge, slightly numbing it, it was hard to taste them to there full potential.

The texture isn't great, and more like a sorbet then an icecream. In my opinion it's not very creamy, either.

It's similar to the regular phish food, but you can definetly, in my opinion, tell it's bein artificially sweetened, as it has a 'splenda' taste to it at times.

For the low amount of fat in it, it's definetly nice to have as a treat while you're on a diet, but if you're not bothered about calories, it's no competition to the original full fat phish food.

• SweetTooth93 published 09/04/2011
    I haven't tried this one but it doesn't sound overly great to me...the chocolate fudge brownie frozen yoghurt is amazing though..tastes just like the real thing!