BeneFit Boi-ing

BeneFit Boi-ing

Face Make-up - Concealer

Review of "BeneFit Boi-ing"

published 24/02/2009 | bubblegum_princess
Member since : 01/08/2002
Pro Actually covers dark circles; good staying power
Cons Easy to apply too much; Can look cakey on dry skin
Length of Coverage
Ease of Removal
Visibility

"Boi-ing! And the circles are gone!"

I am a big sufferer of dark circles - apparently it's a genetic thing, because no matter how much sleep I get, they still plague me. A good concealer is essential for me and Benefit's Boi-ing is so far the best I've come across. Benefit make massive claims about the effectiveness of this, saying: "Say good-bye to circles and shadows around your eyes with boi-ing. Our industrial-strength concealer camouflages those pesky "problems" without creasing, smudging, or wearing off."

I have to admit that, compared to most of Benefit's other excitingly packaged products, Boi-ing may appear a tad on the dull side. It has recently been repackaged and now comes in a small black circle with a twist off lid. Compared to the more exciting YSL Touche Eclait and the gold pen, I can see that this might be a little boring.

Boi-ing comes in three shades - 1, 2 and 3. Having spoken to a couple of Benefit ladies, I believe most people opt for number 2, which is the shade I go for. It looks pretty dark in the pot, and at first I was dubious that this would blend with my olive-but-not-very-dark-in-winter skin as it looked a bit too orange toned, but I was really surprised that it matches perfectly. In fact, the fact that it is that little bit darker and does have some slight orange tones to it seems to help balance out the blue tones that my dark circles have.

To apply, Benefit recommend using your finger. I was sceptical about this and invested in a concealer brush, but after some experimentation, the finger application method is by far the better. The concealer can feel slightly cold and hard, so the warmth of your finger seems to soften it up a little and make it easier to blend, as well as being less wasteful.

The problem with most concealers I've used is that they are either too light and therefore don't really tackle the problem, or they are too heavy and feel nasty on the skin and look too obvious. The consistency of Boi-ing is creamy and easy to blend, but it feels nice and light on the skin and not at all greasy. You need to be careful to only apply it sparingly and build up as necessary, as if you apply too much it can tend to crease and highlight any fine lines. My only real problem with this product is that if the skin under my eye is a little dry, it can start to look a little cakey and the creasing increases - on those days I opt for something a little more liquid based. However, this is a rare instance for me, but something to bear in mind if you do suffer from dry skin in that area.

In terms of staying power, this is pretty good. Certainly better than other concealers I've used and it does last throughout the day, but I do notice sometimes that it can fall into the creases around your eyes. Not too much of a problem for me as I don't have too many (ask me again when I'm 35!) and it is easy enough to reblend with a finger and look as good as new, but something to bear in mind if you have pronounced lines.

So, Benefit call this an 'Industrial Strength' concealer, which is quite a claim, but one I would support. I've not yet come across a concealer which has actually managed to cover my dark circles, but this one does manage it which is quite a feat. I don't tend to use it much on spots, but it is great for toning down redness, although it's not a miracle worker and won't conceal any bumps!

Boi-ing costs £15.50 for 3g of product, so is not exactly a cheap product, but on a par with other top brand concealers like Touch Eclait (which I do not agree is a concealer but a highlighter, but that's another story!) and certainly the best concealer I have come across. Benefit products can be found in Boots stores, House of Fraser, and on the Benefit website: www.benefitcosmetics.co.uk

• OmaN81 published 06/04/2009
    good review and thank for info
  • kirstymack80 published 07/03/2009
    It's always good to hear a product works! I've used Benefit in the past and been a bit disappointed. Thanks for the info. km
  • wantaratgirl published 01/03/2009