Best Western Robert Treat Hotel, Newark

Best Western Robert Treat Hotel, Newark

Review of "Best Western Robert Treat Hotel, Newark"

published 25/07/2016 | linzee_loulabelle
Member since : 26/11/2004
Thank you so much for any E given on a review! I appreciate them so much! Wow... Gold finally! mehimthedogandababy.com
Pro Room, bathroom, comfort, breakfast
Cons Scary area
Quality of Rooms
Standard of Service
Quality of Food & Drink
Cleanliness

"Best Western Robert Treat Hotel"

For our holiday to New York last year we actually decided to stay in New Jersey instead. Had we have wanted to stay in New York we probably wouldn't have been able to go due to how much it cost.

Location

The Best Western Robert Treat Hotel is located in Newark, New Jersey. We chose this particular hotel because of it's proximity to Newark Penn station. After some research online I figured that the hotel was within walking distance (half a mile) and it would be easy to get to and from Manhattan every day. It was so easy to get to and from the hotel. There was a 5 minute walk straight ahead, a quick turn right through a park and then another right a minute or two later!

Unfortunately, the Best Western Robert Treat Hotel is not in the best area and this isn't something I knew beforehand. Reviews had said the area was a little bit sketchy but not one said just how bad it was. During the day it wasn't too bad. There were people sitting around the park, little markets going on and one day there was even a band playing. Then we came back from Manhattan when it was dark and it was honestly scary as hell. The park was littered with homeless people. We were clearly some of the very few white people walking around at night and the looks we got made us feel extremely uncomfortable and a bit scared. I was 6 months pregnant at the time. After our first day we made sure we were back at the hotel by about 7pm which meant missing out on doing a lot!

Best Western Robert Treat Hotel

The hotel itself wasn't nearly as bad as the neighbourhood it is in. When we arrived we were checked in really quickly and by a very polite man. Due to our flight time we got there quite a lot earlier than our official check in time but we were given a room within minutes, asked if we had a floor preference and how many keys we would like. We were in our 7th floor room within 10 minutes of entering the hotel.

Upon first impressions I was quite impressed with our room. We had a large room with double bed, chest of drawers, television, dressing table, mini fridge, large mirror, bedside tables, space to hang clothes, a safe and a bathroom. The room was nice enough but it was a bit shabby in places, with wallpaper coming off slightly and a grubby looking carpet. It wasn't really dirty though, just in need of a bit of a make over.

My husband and I spent a week in this room and although a bit shabby, it was very comfortable! We both slept in extremely well in the bed and there was plenty of room for all of our things, especially everything we bought while shopping in Manhattan. Seeing as we were back in the room by about 7pm every night, we spent a lot of time chilling out, eating and watching television and we were quite happy in there!

The bathroom was really pretty great! After a long day in Manahattan, walking around for hours from about 7:30am until 7pm, we were exhausted. My poor pregnant, swollen feet needed a good soak and I did this nightly in the deep bath. Each morning I had a wonderful shower. The bathroom is stocked with shampoo, conditioner and soaps and refilled daily by housekeeping. We had taken our own big bottles of products but I still think this was a nice thing to do.

Food and drink

Each floor of the hotel has a vending machine but unfortunately, there were never any drinks in ours! I didn't bother to check on any other floor. The hotel has a little convenience shop downstairs near the lobby so we stocked up here quite often and kept drinks upstairs in our fridge. The shop was pretty overpriced but short of venturing out at night, we were stuck buying from there at times. The shop has a good selection of drinks, crisps, chocolates etc. as well as breakfast items like cereal!

Speaking of breakfast, this comes as standard with every room. The breakfast room is situated in the basement and you need your room key to gain access. The room is split into two halves with seating in both. The seating is a bit strange though as there is a big couch, high tables with stools and a couple of normal tables but there isn't really anywhere for a whole family to sit. John and I didn't mind standing up at a table but it wouldn't be so nice for a family with children. Breakfast is served from 6am and consists pancakes from a self service machine, sausage and egg muffins, toast, bagels, fruit, cereals etc. There really was quite a lot of choice and John and I had this most days. We did go down at 6am though to beat the rush!

There is also the option to dine in the Maize restaurant but we didn't do this so I cannot comment on the food or the prices.

Hotel extras

The Best Western Robert Treat Hotel has a free gym for guests to use which is located near the breakfast room. I was 6 months pregnant so didn't bother and my husband would have liked to but you could see in through the large glass window and he didn't want to be on display.

Across the hall from the breakfast room is a small business centre, if you can really call it that. The room has two computer stations and a couple of leather couches. Although small, we were able to get a computer when we needed it for things like checking in for flights or researching things to do! The computers and internet were quick worked well.

The Best Western Robert Treat Hotel also caters for weddings and business meetings. There was a huge wedding on while we were staying and everyone looked amazing who we saw coming in and out and they looked like they were having a great time.

Overall

The Best Western Robert Treat Hotel was a pretty decent hotel and I am glad we picked it. Although the location wasn't ideal and it did mean us not staying out at night, I was exhausted by this time anyway. We often picked up a pizza from the train station or a McDonald's on the way back, vegged out on the bed and watched films. I was perfectly happy.

It looks like rates start from £79 a night but I'm not sure what we paid as we booked our flights and hotel together, costing about £1300 for a week for 2 people.

I am giving this hotel 4 stars because I did enjoy my stay. However, I wouldn't go back now because I wouldn't be happy with taking Erin to a scary area like that.

*It's very unlike me but I didn't actually take any photos! I think I was preoccupied with other things like still having morning sickness at this time and swollen feet!

• danielclark691 published 11/08/2016
    very well covered
  • euphie published 29/07/2016
    e :o)
  • Dentolux published 27/07/2016
    Brill review. Shame that you had to hide away in this place after dark.

Product Information : Best Western Robert Treat Hotel, Newark

Best Western Robert Treat Hotel guestrooms feature beds with 300-thread-count linens and down comforters (bedspreads). Sitting areas are furnished with sofa beds. Flat-screen TVs come with premium cable channels; wireless Internet access and weekday newspapers are complimentary. Guestrooms at this Newark hotel include in-room safes, refrigerators, and coffeemakers. Bottled water is complimentary. Best Western Robert Treat Hotel guestrooms feature beds with 300-thread-count linens and down comforters (bedspreads). Sitting areas are furnished with sofa beds. Flat-screen TVs come with premium cable channels; wireless Internet access and weekday newspapers are complimentary. Guestrooms at this Newark hotel include in-room safes, refrigerators, and coffeemakers. Bottled water is complimentary.

Long Name: Best Western Robert Treat Hotel, Robert Treat Hotel