Best of Winifred Atwell - Winifred Atwell

Best of Winifred Atwell - Winifred Atwell

1 CD(s) - Easy Listening - Label: Spectrum Music - Distributor: Universal Music - Released: 28/02/2000 - 731454417020

Review of "Best of Winifred Atwell - Winifred Atwell"

published 23/10/2014 | CoffeeQueen68
Member since : 08/01/2014
Pro Great songs, lots of upbeat fast tracks to dance along to.
Cons Couple of tracks I'm not keen on, but that's just personal choice.
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"Let your fingers do the talking."

Winifred Atwell

Winifred Atwell

You'll soon get to realise with some of my music reviews that I have quite an eclectic taste when it comes to my CD collection. I do prefer the older stuff. Well, anything from the 80's backwards really. And one such CD in my collection is Winifred Atwell - Best of Winifred Atwell. For those too young to know who she is, Winifred Atwell is from Trinidad and was a famous Pianist. One of her most memorable pieces was most probably "Let's Have A Party". But today I shall be reviewing this particular CD.

She was predominantly most well known in the 50's and the genre of her music is Ragtime and boogie-woogie style piano playing.
Price and Availability

This CD is currently being sold on Amazon for £5.35 or from 46p used, which is cheap enough. There is 1 CD, and the front cover has an orange background with a picture of Winifred on the front sitting at the piano. This CD was released in 2001, 18 years after her death.
The CD

There are 20 tracks on this CD. There are no vocals on this track, so just put standard in the drop down menu on the Ciao list. But, Winifreds fingers does all the talking anyway! She plays a few tracks of ragtime music as well. Scott Joblin the most famous pianist when it comes to ragtime, but I think Winifred Atwell is on par with playing this sort of music as well.

1) Poor People of Paris
This is a fast paced song, and puts you very much in mind of ragtime music. The high pitched keys on the piano and foot tapping sound of this song makes me want to get up and dance. When I listen to this it makes me wish I had learnt to play the piano.

2) Britannia Rag
This is another upbeat song. I like the rhythm of this tune. She plays the piano on both the high and low keys and I can imagine her sitting at her piano as she always did on TV smiling and playing along to this.

3) The Black and White Rag
This is typical of what ragtime music sounds like. This is a very upbeat and fast track. She plays the piano very fast. Atwell is such a talented pianist, and this certainly comes through on this track. It's very upbeat, fast and a really feel good track. I love this song.

4) Flirtation Waltz
This track isn't as fast as the previous tracks on the album, but still has a good rhythm and pace to it. Although this is a little bit slower in its tempo, this is still a good track and I find this track is more suitable to dance to!

5) Port Pu Prince
Again, this is another quite a fast paced track with Winifred playing the high keys fast, and the combination of the low keys as well I think adds to the magic. I like this tune, and find it is easy to hum along to.

6) Stranger in Paradise
This isn't a slow track, but not such an upbeat tempo as the others. To be honest, this isn't one of my favourite tracks. It has a nice rhythm to it, and I do like how she plays the low keys of the piano in conjuntion to the high keys, but I prefer some of the previous tracks I've mentioned.

Other tracks on the album:-

7) Lady of Spain
15) The Portrait Painter of Paree
16) Silver Shoes
17) Golden Tango

18) Summer of the Seventeenth Doll
I quite like this tune. Like most of the other tracks, it has quite an upbeat tune to it, and it's quite a catchy little number. I like how she plays the piano in this and I find this is the type of track you can bop up and down to in your chair! I get a picture in my mind of people sitting in their chairs tapping their feet and clapping along to this track.

19) Coronation Rag
20) The Story of Three Lovers
My Thoughts

There are one or two tracks on this album that don't appeal to me, but the majority of them I do. I do like ragtime music, I like the style of it. So this album especially appeals to me as a lot of the tracks are upbeat and fast songs. If you like this type of music, and like Winifred Atwell, I would recommend this album.

ASIN: B00004NJNB