Binatone VEVA 1700

without Hands Free - with Caller ID - without Loudspeakers - without SMS Function

Review of "Binatone VEVA 1700"

published 28/09/2016 | snow_drops
Member since : 20/07/2016
Just had my little boy, so you won't see me around Ciao as much as usual for the next wee while :)
Good
Pro basic, easy to use, good quality clarity of speech, not expensive
Cons lack of features, no loud speaker, not pretty!
Reception & Clarity of speech
Range of reception
What is the durability of this product?
Range of features
Reliability

"Binatone VEVA 1700 phone - functional but no frills!"

Binatone VEVA 1700 telephone

Price: £9 to £16 plus postage and packaging
Available: Amazon, Connected for Less, Mymemory.com
Type of telephone: analogue, cordless (with charging base which plugs in)

When we moved into our previous flat, we were looking for a simple, low-cost landline telephone. We mostly use our mobile phones for calls as the monthly contract comes with included minutes, however, I like to have a landline phone, especially for older relatives to phone (as they don’t seem to like calling mobiles). When we moved house, we kept this Binatone VEVA phone, so we’ve owned it for around four and a half years.

Appearance

The Binatone VEVA 1700 telephone isn’t very attractive! I think modern phones in general tend to have far less interesting and nice-looking designs than the old-fashioned dial phones. This phone is made of black plastic, has average-to-large sized buttons, and a simple screen. The icons on the buttons are white and the phone charging base is the same shade of black as the handset.

The words and numbers which appear on the screen look like an old digital watch rather than a modern mobile phone or computer screen.

Clarity of Speech

Most calls I make using this phone are of good sound quality. Occasionally I’ll get a ‘bad line’, but I don’t think that’s the fault of the telephone itself. The sound isn’t particularly loud, and has no volume control, so you need to have it close to your ear. Also, unfortunately, there’s no loudspeaker feature on this phone, so you can’t use it hands-free.

Range of Reception

We have the phone set up in living room, and it works fine around most of the house, until we get close to the back door, perhaps 20 meters away – then the reception becomes very poor.

Features
This phone is very basic and “no frills”, with limited features, however, it does have a few options:
  • a small range of five (fairly irritating) ringtones – we’ve settled for a traditional “ring, ring”
  • ringer volume control
  • caller ID
  • phone book option to add 20 most frequently used numbers
  • short call history (10 most recent calls)

There’s also an option to purchase this phone as a set of two.
Using it

The Binatone VEVA 1700 telephone is very simple to use. Making a call is very easy, with as few steps as possible. Accessing saved numbers is also easy – press menu, the click down to phone book. It feels a bit like using the first mass available mobile phones around 2000 (only without the option of playing ‘snake’)! I think this phone would be ideal for someone who isn’t particularly comfortable with new technology – it can be challenging to find ‘low tech’ electronics these days, but this phone certainly fits the category.

I find the voicemail option is hit and miss and isn’t instantly obvious how to access messages. However, I’m not sure if the issue is with the phone handset or with our line rental provider.

There are a few shortcuts on the dial pad, including one to the phonebook, and there are some random buttons on the hand set which I’ve never used, such as ‘Flash’. There are lots of options in ‘Menu’ I’ve never used as well, mostly to do with the phone’s settings.

The battery lasts for an hour or so, and has only run out when I’ve been put on hold for a long time, when calling a company (or HMRC), then had a long phone call. There isn’t a lot of warning before it’s about to run out – there are a few beeps, then the phone cuts dead. This has been frustrating on the occasions it’s happened.

The screen isn’t backlit, so people with poor vision may struggle to see the numbers, particularly when there’s not natural light in the room.

Durability and Reliability

The phone feels lightweight and flimsy, but my daughter and I have dropped it plenty of times and it always seem to ‘bounce’ off the floor, then doesn’t show any damage. I’d say it works just the same as when we bought it four and a half years ago.

What Would I Improve?

• Add a speaker phone feature
  • More reliable voicemail option – it’s hit and miss
  • Less irritating ringtone options
  • More warning of how much battery is left (showing a percentage remaining)
  • Make the screen backlit

Overall

At the time of looking, we just wanted a basic and low-cost landline phone, so the Binatone VEVA 1700 suited us fine, but others may be frustrated by the lack of design, and features. I think, when buying a landline phone in the future, I’d definitely look for one with a speaker phone option. I’d also listen to the ringtones before purchasing!

• ANNExTHExFLAN published 02/10/2016