Bishop Grosseteste University College Lincoln

Bishop Grosseteste University College Lincoln

Review of "Bishop Grosseteste University College Lincoln"

published 25/10/2007 | charlottedannielle123
Member since : 24/07/2007
Pro the time of your life
Cons wrekage of the sleep pattern
IT Facilities
Libraries
Societies/Clubs
Sporting Facilities
Student Union

"the science of this is mathematical genius"

souper woman

souper woman

Right, with me being only 15 you are probably wondering why l am writing this review. But in June from the 27th to the 29th I went to a summer school at the University College of Lincoln.

So this is an insight into the University College: whether I had fun or not, what I did, and what happened in between.

On the 27th of June I woke up as usual, except that this time I didn't do my paper round due to the fact I needed to get ready for my little trip so I got to school at about my usual time ready to catch the mini bus at 8:45 am.

I thought the trip would be doomed because the bus was late but it finally arrived at 9:15 am.
On the bus journey it took a few hours to get there. ln that time I listened to my music, did some cross stitch, and then I was talking the rest of the way(*as usual).

When we FINALLY got there we were showed in by an ambassador called Danielle who was present on our journey. She took us all to the reception and we got an information pack each. In this pack we got our schedule of what we would be doing, a pen, a map and the most important thing: our room keys and numbers.

I was room 69. We were told to go back down in an hour to meet up at reception to go to the common room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~THE ROOM~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My room looked quite boring until I got in there. Then I started to unpack and put my stuff on the table and in the wardrobe on the bed just generally making it as homely as I was able to. I had two sides of one wardrobe, a bed with disgusting green bed covers (it was like sleeping on the floor), then we had a chair. Next to the bed there was a table, on the other side, with a lamp. Near the chair we had a curtain. Behind the curtain we had a sink and a shelf to brush your teeth and put your toiletries, like your hair brush and tooth paste. There was also a glass so you could swill your mouth with water. There were also a wooden chair and table in the other corner. Over the corridor were all the boilers, cupboards for towels and then you've got the shared bathroom of which had a bath, a shower and also a bench for your clothes to go on while you were in the bath.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~THEN~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After we dropped our stuff off in our rooms we then went down to the reception. From there we were taken off to the student common room and told a few rules. After the rules we were put in to groups of fives or sixes. Then we did a few icebreaker activities like making stable structures of marshmallows and dried spaghetti.

After that we were to go shopping at Tesco's in Lincoln where the organiser gave each group ambassador £10 and with that to buy things for a starter a main course and a dessert. Our group bought peppers, chicken, the fajitas, and the mix of the pack. We also bought some salad, cheese and also some cream, some Pavlova cases and some fruit.

What did we do with all this food I hear you ask? Well, we began with preparing the salad while Sophie was preparing the fajitas. Kingsley had gone out for a fag; Rosie was whipping cream and our ambassador Sue had gone to get plates from the canteen. So after about an hour we were ready to go to the eating hall so we took our food over. Then the organiser of the summer school tasted the food and gave us a mark for our food.

After we had finished it we went back to the kitchens, cleaned up and then went back to the reception and were told we have one hour before we go out bowling. So we all went up to our rooms and started getting ready for the night out. I went in to my friends rooms and had my hair straightened and then I straightened their hair then I went back in to my room and got dressed. Then we all piled on to the bus and went to the bowling ally of where we had six alleys and each group had an ally. I got a strike. Yay!

When we got back, we went to the common room, had some hot chocolate were given the results of the ready steady cook. Group one won and got an apron each. Then we went to bed at eleven o clock. Then James the night ambassador woke me up by continuously shouting my name and knocking on my door. I was a bit annoyed as you can imagine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~28th June~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The next day we were awakened at seven in the morning and then we were expected to get up, get showered, and dressed to be downstairs at eight. So I stayed in bed then was running round. But then I went down before eight and was talking to Luke, Mattie and Pete, as well as Shika and Sweeta chatting up Luke. Then I was sorting out a jealous ex girlfriend of his. Then we went in the eating hall to get our breakfast. Our little group of three was getting bigger with five people at our table. Then we were told to take a towel and some extra clothes as we were off to Walesby near Lincoln to participate in several activities such as kayaking, rubics cube, ski walking, box stacking and then standing on them.

When we got back to the university we were told we had an hour before dinner. Where we were to get our food tokens for dinner, then we had another hour to do what we liked then we were to go to the common room and created a super hero from our Ambassador as a "souper woman" with the special powers of warming soup. Then we had another hour to do what we liked.

Then we were to get ready for a karaoke night with punch and also with dj and a karaoke machine: I got up and sang, obviously, "The summer of sixty-nine," by Brian Adams. I got an award too. Then we were to go to bed at eleven again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~29th June~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This was the last day which we were to enjoy before we were sent back to the reality of home and the usual routine so again.

We got woken up at seven and were again expected to get showered, dressed, and down for breakfast by eight. Once downstairs, we got breakfast tokens to eat breakfast and this time we had eight at our table (which had started as three!). After breakfast we went up to our rooms for the next hour. In that hour we were to pack, take our suitcases down to a room (where they would be stored and safe) so we then handed our room keys in.

Then we made our way over to the common room. In the common room we then did some science about the planets and figured what scale in maths to use and then went to the sports field to run around with the planets we made. Then we did a presentation about our planet - ours was Pluto - in a room with an interactive white board. So we presented our presentations. Then the organiser started talking how well behaved we had been, and telling us what was happening the rest of the day - this was the award ceremony.

This was the presenting of the certificates for taking part and then for the activities we took part in. While we were there I got a Brian Adams award for the karaoke. Yay!

So I really did enjoy myself at the summer school and I will surely advise anyone who thinks of going, "Do it!" And then you will most definitely have a fantastic time!

Thanks for reading about my experience of Lincoln Bishop Grosseteste University College.

Charlotte xx

• suehome published 29/10/2008
    Sounds a hoot, never anything like it in my day....Sue
  • martinwi published 19/10/2008
    So a good time was had by all then. Martin.
  • Car.Dude42 published 04/10/2008