Bissell 1698

Bissell 1698

Upright, Cylinder Cleaner - Mains Power Supply - 1400 Watt - Bagless - without HEPA Filter

Review of "Bissell 1698"

published 05/04/2006 | workangel
Member since : 20/03/2006
Pro Really deep cleans and deodorises carpet
Cons Machine is heavy if you have to lift it

"Bex Bissell carpet washer"

I have had my Bex Bissell carpet washer for six months and it is very difficult to describe how good it really is.

I have two big dogs ( dobermans), hence eight muddy feet, plus my husband ( I often think he must have eight muddy feet as well, the mess he makes and although I have stone floors in the utility areas to 'save' my carpets, they do get really soiled on occasion.

Hiring a carpet cleaner

I have done this several times and the machines have been fine, but they do not dry the carpets enough, and they are quite expensive. (£45 a day, plus the costs of the shampoo and defoamer).

The Bex Bissell

This is an upright machine and it looks like a slightly bigger than average upright vacuum cleaner.

It is very simple to use - warm/hot water goes into a bucket with handle which you get to by releasing the handle on the cleaner and lowering the handle to the floor. You then just simply pick up the handle on the water bucket, pull it upright and the bucket lifts straight out.

You can fill the bucket from the hot tap to the m ark on the side and replace the bucket ( which is shaped, so you cannot put it back incorrectly) back into the cleaner.

The water bucket is a very clever design, as it has a flexible inner membrane, and as clean water is pumped out of the bucket, the dirty water is collected under the membrane in the bucket, so you only ever put clean water onto your carpets.

The shampoo dispenser just lifts out, you fill to the mark, and tip it back into its allotted place.

There is a dial next to the shampoo dispenser for high or normal traffic - ( really dirty or just normal dirty) , you switch this to whatever you require and you are ready to go.

Using the machine

Operation is just like an upright vacuum cleaner except there is a trigger under the top of the handle to release a water and shampoos mix. You press this trigger down when you are pushing the machine forward ( sprays the solution) and release the trigger when you pull the machine back (sucks up the cleaner and muck).

I push any furniture over to one side of a room ( nearest the door), clean the far side of the room, and then push the furniture back and clan the second half.

Results

1) You MUST hoover before you start washing your carpets - this gives the best results, and it prevents any clogging of the washer brushes.

2) Going over each bit twice as you go gave really clean carpets that smaelled lovely AND were virtually dry. The suction on this machine is really good - I was totally impressed by it. My carpets really were dry in two hours and they were clean.

3) The simple usage makes this a great machine - I pull it out to deal with spills etc, and never have any stains or marks on my carpets.

4) tyhere is a turbo Brush attachment witha long flexible hose that you can use for upholstery, corners, stairs etc, and this is equally impressive. I cleaned the car upholstery and it looked like new when I had finished ( it took 40 minutes, and I have a seven seater espace - I thought this was brilliant).

Bissell suggest you use their shampoo, but I have used theirs, Vax, astonish and two other supermarket ones and they have all been good. It is very important to chack the consistency of the shampoo though - if it is too thick it will put pressure on the motor which pushes this through the system, and it will clog up.Add 50% hot water to this type of shampoo and you will get no problems.

A very important point - ALWAYS flush though with just hot water for three or four passes at the end of cleaning - this prevents shampoo building up and narrowing the small feeder pipes and causing trouble. I always check the brushes as well ( because of dog hair) - any of this lifts straight off, it takes seconds to do.

Conclusion.

I would really miss this machine now - I paid £215 and it was worth every penny. The cleaning is excellent and 1 litre of shampoo costs anything from £2.50 to £4.50 and this does two 15' square rooms and a 20' by 12' hall ( all high traffic).

If you have children or pets it will keep your carpets looking like new - and as the machine is easy to use and not tiring it won't just sit in the cupboard.

The initial outlay is definnitely woth it.

• cocoklo published 29/12/2006
    Good review.. Chloe x
  • fluffy20 published 30/05/2006
    I have seen Bissell cleaners much cheaper, I imagine this must be a higher spec model. Need to buy one for £60 but confused now. I need to do more research I think! Jo
  • newty1977 published 21/04/2006
    Oooo ... sounds like too much high maintenance for me ... might just lay a wooden floor !! :-) Good review