brittle19... 4

brittle1906

About me: There was an issue with my Yardley Peony review not showing correctly, now sorted.

Member since:05.03.2005

Bust the Dust With Black & Decker

30.07.2012

Advantages:
Useful gadget which can be used in many areas .

Disadvantages:
Expensive and not altogether a necessity !

Performance

2. AnneLorraine1
  1. chrisandmark_is_here
  2. kimwright
  3. CelticSoulSister

Review of Black & Decker Dustbuster (DV9610N)

Earlier this year, when I purchased buildings and contents insurance through Tesco Bank, my insurer choice was determined by the amount of cash back I received via the cash back site I use.
In addition to my cash back and Tesco club card points, I found that Tesco were offering a selection of free gifts to new customers. The gift depended on how much had been spent. My insurance purchase earned me this Black & Decker Rechargeable Dustbuster.

The Product

I will warn that this is not going to be a particularly technical review, as I am definitely not a technically minded review writer!
Black and Decker have produced Dustbusters, a hand held type of vacuum cleaner for many years. I bought one back in the 1970’s and it sat unused in the cupboard for ages as it was frankly, useless! With this in mind I was a little dubious as to whether I really wanted this Dustbuster, but consoled myself with the thought that it was free and that I could always sell the thing on EBay!

When my Dustbuster arrived, I was pleased to note that it was nothing like the cumbersome chunk of plastic I recalled from the past. This model (DV9610N) is almost space age in appearance; the main body housing the powerful 9.5v motor on my model is basically white and silver. I understand from the Black & Decker website that this model is available in a range of colours. It is still a fairly chunky piece of kit, but far more attractive and eye-catching than earlier Dustbusters. It is also less noisy than earlier models.

The dirt collecting container is made of a see through plastic, very useful as you can see when the Dustbuster needs emptying. The translucent dirt bowl is removable, so you can wash it before re-attaching. The’ quick empty’ feature simplifies the emptying procedure. The Dustbuster is fitted with a filter and this too is easy to clean, just press the open catch located on the top of the Dustbuster to reveal the filter. This is a small bucket shaped bowl which is fitted with a fold away handle. You simply lift the filter unit out of the dirt bowl and shake out any dust or debris. The filter can be washed and left to dry before replacing in the bowl. Black & Decker recommend filters should be changed every 6-9 months or sooner should the paper become excessively dirty or damaged.

This model of Dustbuster has a cyclonic action, according to the Black & Decker handbook received with the Dustbuster; this cyclonic action causes the dust and dirt to spin away from the filter, rather than getting sucked into it. This means that the Dustbuster maintains its high level suction for longer, rather than losing power as the dirt is picked up. It also makes the filter easier to clean.

The DV9610N has an ergonomic design meaning that it is comfortable to hold and use, even in awkward places. The Dustbuster weighs in at just over 1kg, so it is fairly lightweight in use. The long slim line nose has a wide mouth design which means that the Dustbuster can cope well with large amounts of debris. The nozzle can be extended by gently pulling in order the reach under low furniture and other awkward spaces. A soft brush is attached to the underside of the nose; this can be flipped into position quickly and easily. Being an integral part of the machine means there is less likelihood of the brush being mislaid or lost.
The swivel action of the nozzle does increase its usefulness. To twist the nozzle into another direction is easy enough, although there is a 'knack' to it and I did struggle a little at first. Controls are simple, just an on/off switch and a catch for the filter unit, both of which are located on the top of the handle.

The Dustbuster is rechargeable. Supplied with the Dustbuster is a very neat charging unit, this is circular and very lightweight and easy to store away in a drawer. It is fitted with a light which glows with blue colour as your Dustbuster is charging.
Black & Decker advise customers place their Dustbuster on charge for 24 hours for the first charge. Subsequent charges do not take so long; I find a few hours are usually adequate. Black & Decker also state that the Dustbuster will run for 11 minutes continuous vacuuming on a single charge, in practise I have found that mine runs for significantly longer than this, I think the record has been 20 minutes!

Users should note that this Dustbuster model is for dry use only and should never been used to suck up liquids.

Price

As mentioned at the beginning of this review, I did not purchase my Dustbuster so had no idea of the retail price. A quick search engine trawl has brought up the following prices:-
www.ebay.co.uk £53.99
www.homebase.co.uk £44.99
www.amazon.co.uk £55.56
Of course these may be picked up used for much less!

My Thoughts and Conclusion

I have to say that I really did not think I would have any need for this item and I really was expecting to never even use it, however use it I have.

I have used this Dustbuster to clean the interior of the car I drive at the moment. It’s not my own car, it’s a long story, but a relative has kindly given me the use of her vehicle to tide me over an awkward situation. It’s a lovely vehicle and I feel I must keep the interior in pristine condition. The Dustbuster is absolutely great at reaching in the myriad nooks and crannies within the vehicle, cleaning easily and very efficiently.
I have also used this with great success to vacuum the wicker furniture in my conservatory, anyone who has this type of furniture, will I am sure know only too well how dust can cling to the structure and make it look dirty!

The Dustbuster makes short work of cleaning my Dralon headboards, a task I hate as the dust tends to cling to the upholstery like glue. The Dustbuster has an impressive amount of suction power; it has coped with grit and other such mess in the car and also with dog hair indoors. Its suction is in no way comparable to my upright vacuum cleaner of course, but for a handheld gadget, it is perfectly acceptable. The actual construction of the Dustbuster is sturdy, it certainly seems to be well made, and after many months use, it is in very good condition.

Although I had my doubts, I can say in all honesty that I do use this gadget, whether I would have spent the sort of money I saw quoted online today for it is debateable. I own a Dyson cleaner, and really see no need for another type of vacuum cleaner in the house as this does all we need it to.

The Dustbuster has its uses, but I do not feel that I personally would have bothered buying this. It was gift, and I’m never one to look a gift horse in the mouth, so I will continue to make use of the Dustbuster!

I have pondered as to whether I would recommend this item and in all fairness I have to say that, yes, I do recommend the Dustbuster, it is efficient, it has its uses, but it is rather expensive for what it is.