Black&Decker GL720

Black&Decker GL720

Powered String Trimmers / Brush Cutters - String Trimmer - Mains / Corded operated - Cylinder, Nylon cord spool - Straight shaft

Review of "Black&Decker GL720"

published 07/08/2007 | holdfast
Member since : 02/04/2004
Pro Good Design and Balance
Cons Does not come with Headlights for night time use
Performance
User's Manual
Maintenance

"Not only a Strimmer but it's also a Weed Muncher"

When it comes to Gardening I am no Percy Titsmarch or an Alan Thrower, if there is a job to do in the Garden and there is a gadget or machine that will make the job easy, its for me.

So as the grass was knee length in the front garden and there was a danger of small children getting lost, I felt the it was time for the Big Cut.

Off I toddled to my local B&Q and browsed through the bewildering array of Strimmers.

I decided on the Black & Decker GL720.

I was drawn to this by the fact that the tube running from the handle to the strimmer head was curved, this appeared to me to be a good design feature as when held with 2 hands the strimmer head is at the correct angle for normal work. The length of the tube is also adjustable, in other words its Telescopic. The tube also can be rotated so you can trim the edges of the garden, to further assist in this, there is a guide bar that flicks down so you can keep the correct distance and not damage the spool. General opperation of the strimmer a simple side to side action. I found it similar to years gone by as a Sapper with a Mine Sweeper, but I digress.

The spool is somewhat different from that I have been used to. There are 2 cutting line's, they, like most strimmers automaticaly feed out. The performance appears to be very good. However as in the past, my experience with other strimmers are that when the line runs out, they have a tendancy not to perform as good as they did when new. This I will have to wait and see as it is working fine after 2 sessions in the garden and shows no sign of running out yet.

I did notice whilst in B&Q that hey did not have on display replacement Black&Decker spools, as B&Q have a tendancy to push their own products.

My overall thoughts on this strimmer are that it appears to be powerfull enough to deal with my garden.

The GL720 cost £49.98
It is 600w mains electric, power cord can be extended up to 30m
Weight 3.2kg

When it comes to changing the spool I will update this review

Well its been over a year now since I made this review and I have had 2 spool changes, simplicity and very easy to do, found the re-placement spools at B&Q, their products work well.

• holdfast published 07/08/2007
    You aint seen my garden
  • mrsmopples published 07/08/2007
    Your title made me chuckle, I have never heard of a weed muncher before. x