Blistex Healing Relief cream

Blistex Healing Relief cream

Medicated relief for occasional cold sores, cracked, chapped and sore lips.

Review of "Blistex Healing Relief cream"

published 07/12/2009 | ChocolateChip
Member since : 31/01/2006
'Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.' George Carlin.
Pro A staple product, effective and cheap.
Cons a very small tube, have to use straight away.
Absorbency
Gloss?
Frequency of Reapplication

"Sooth & Heal"

This is a Review of Blistex (formerly Blisteze) Relief Cream for occasional cold sores, cracked, chapped and sore lips.

As a youngster I always remember my parents having a small tube of this product in the bathroom cabinet. I used to suffer quite badly with cold sores as a teenager and became quite conscious about them. I haven’t had any for years! But this year, I seemed to have developed cold sores in the corners of my mouth and chapped lips. The cold weather doesn’t help, I have to take lip balm with me and use it pretty much every half an hour to help! I have since moved out, and thought I would buy myself a tube of Blistex for my own bathroom cabinet, something which is good to have available, much like other products for mouth ulcers, headaches, burns etc. The staple products we all need!

Price: This product (5g tube) is around £2 in most supermarkets and stores such as Boots and Superdrug. I found it in my local Tesco store with the medicated lip creams and mouth ulcer treatments etc. This is a small tube and doesn’t look like much for the price, but does last a long time, the product will last and if you only use it occasionally then even more economical! I think this is a fair price.

The Brand: Blistex, formerly Blisteze, was founded in 1947 developing lip care products. The website: www.blistex.co.uk is a funky one, innovative and user-friendly. It even has some great tips for treating cold sores such as: ‘Avoid Touching them, minimising stress and boost immune system’. It also gives a run-down of the other products available from the brand, such as daily lip conditioners, and a lip restore stick. It seems as though this brand is aimed at women, with the use of female imagery and pink, flowery colouring on the website. I believe it is a good product for all the family.

Cold sores: These troublesome blighters! Cold sores are a very common illness caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV). The disorder is characterised by groups of fluid-filled blisters which appear on red swollen areas of the skin or on the mucous membranes. The areas can be tender and painful. The blisters heal without scarring but have a tendency to recur.

The Packaging: This small tube comes in a box; you can’t miss the brand as it’s simply the one with the lips on the front! The tube is easy to un-screw with a red cap and easy to read text. It is a handy size to carry around in your handbag too.

The product: After developing cold sores and leaving them for a couple of weeks, just using Vaseline on them, I decided to start using this product on them as they weren’t shifting! You are advised to apply this product every hour once a cold sore occurs so you have to use it quite a bit to be effective. I have been using it about 3-5 times a day as this is when I remember to do it, and after about an extra week and a half one of the cold sores has dispersed.

The product comes out in a creamy colour and smells a bit medicated. The product will tingle on the cold sore and feels quite fresh. You only need a very small amount of the product. Be sure to wash your hands before and after using the product as not to spread the cold sore virus. The active ingredients in this product are: Ammonia Solution and Liquefied Phenol.

Conclusion: This is a good product, one to have in your bathroom cabinet. I unfortunately starting using this product later than I should have done, it is recommended to start applying the cream as soon as the cold sore appears for maximum effect. Be patient with the cold sores, they will not disappear overnight and I have found that make-up although covers them up doesn’t allow them to breath and heal.

The price of the product is good value and is easy to use. I would recommend this product to anyone with cold sores as a treatment. Eating lost of fruit and vegetables to boost your immune system also helps of course! The Blistex brand is well known as is worth checking out there website for online tips.

• paulpry118 published 09/12/2009
    I've tried this when I have had cold sores but it never seemed to work
  • flyingllamas published 07/12/2009
    Well reviewed.
  • Abby_88 published 07/12/2009
    I love this product, even when I don't have cold sores.