Blogger.com

Web Design & Development

Review of "Blogger.com"

published 27/05/2002 | SmartRich
Member since : 14/08/2000
Pro easy to use and FREE
Cons adverts on blog ... but there's no such thing as a free lunch

"You ciaoers are going to LOVE this"

I’ve always been a bit unsure as to how to express myself on-line (aside from through Ciao obviously). Should I have a web site for all my family photos – too cheesy. What about my CV? Well I’m not looking for a job to be honest. A diary? Can I really be bothered with writing the HTML and uploading it all to my Freeserve account via FTP? No.

THE ANSWER?

To blog, my friend.

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?
A blog in its most simple form is an on-line record of you thoughts, opinions, rants, raves etc.. published on-line in chronological order. Still don’t get it? Than try having a look at some:

For many, these blogs are on-line diaries, I just use mine as a dump for the thoughts I can’t really classify.

SURELY I NEED TO BE A WEB DESIGNER TO BLOG.

Not at all.

The lovely chaps at blogger.com have made it all simple and, more importantly FREE.

By registering on the web site you can create your own blog, select a template from a huge gallery of styles and post and publish you site within minutes.

Dead easy.

The FREE web-based application lets you do basic HTML formatting (bold, italics, underline) as well as inserting hyperlinks to other web pages. What’s more if you want to have a group blog you can allow different bloggers access writes to edit the blog.

In addition to the free software, blogger.com always provides you with free hosting for your blog providing you can tolerate a small banner at the top of the page and a little blogger.com button somewhere on the page. Once completed you blog will be located at yourblog.blogspot.com.

If you so desire the adverts can be removed from your Blogspot for a mere $12 a year.

ADVANCED FEATURES
If you want more from the application, and I’m thinking about it, you can upgrade to bloggerPRO for $35 per year (although this is likely to increase to $50 soon). For this fee you’ll receive the following extras:
- Image posting
- Spell checking
- Bulk e-mail tool
- And loads of other archiving tools

I cannot stress how easy it is to use Blogger.com and I completely hooked. Given the nature of most of you ciaoers I don’t think it’ll be long before you’re all signed up and posting away.

HOW TO END THIS REVIEW

One famous blog - http://www.guardian.co.uk/weblog
And one not famous (mine) - http://smartrich.blogspot.com/

• Barthez2002 published 04/06/2002
    excellent opinion
  • Morgenhund published 28/05/2002
    I have resisted the temptation to "blog" thus far - blogging does sound like some foul anti-social habit best kept to the privacy of own's own home(page!). Good op and thanks for the CoT add! Mike
  • Elainebaba published 27/05/2002