Blood Brothers - Willy Russell

Blood Brothers - Willy Russell

Play - ISBN: 3425040022

Review of "Blood Brothers - Willy Russell"

published 25/08/2005 | maggie141414
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro It will make you laugh and it will make you cry
Cons You will need a packet of paper hankies
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability
How does it compare to similar works?

"A social statement between rich and poor"

I have been to see this show many times with many different casts and I love it. The humour, the pathos, the music and the 'hit you between the eyes' statement Willy Russell makes in every performance no matter what age you are. The songs are very Beatlesque (if there is such a word) and you can't help but imagine that John Lennon would have been quitely impressed by this show.
It makes you feel young again if you are like me a child of the sixties. When it really was George Henry Lees and not John Lewis!!
This is a show that I hope I will be going to see when I'm 64 and still loving it. It has everything without the pretentions of a lavish West End Musical. It is memorable for all the right reasons.
Thank you Willy Russell for this perennial masterpiece of British theatre.
Willy Russell tells the sad story of the Johnston twins in this lovely book. Micky and Edward brought up by two different mothers living two different lives.
A social statement, a political statement also made loud and clear by Mr Russell in this story.
So take a jouney up north to Liverpool and get to know the Johnstons I guarantee you will close this book with a tear in your eye.

• Soho_Black published 26/08/2005
    It looks like this should be about the book rather than the show itself.
  • helencbradshaw published 25/08/2005
    I love this show too, and have seen it several times. You have your review in the "books" section though. If you need any help moving it let me know, Helen
  • Mayclair published 25/08/2005
    I have not seen this musical, but maybe I will now.... Cheers Gina.