Bloom Gin

Bloom Gin

Review of "Bloom Gin"

published 10/12/2010 | Thegardengate123
Member since : 09/12/2010
Pro Smooth floral delicate gin, but still has a kick
Cons Currently only available to buy online.
Packaging Design
Taste / Flavour

"Bloom Gin - New and Exciting experience in Gin drinking."

I was recently at the 'Taste of Christmas' show at Excel in London having been dragged along by my foodie friends when I came across this delightful product completely by accident.
Being a Gin drinker for many years, I thought I had just about had every gin experience possible - I was wrong!!
Hearing whispers that there was a fantastic new Gin I followed my nose and several other people to a beautiful little stall tucked away in the far corner of the exhibition, to be greeted by a very knowledgeable young lady by the name of Lynn who asked if I might like to try some gin, being a gin drinker obviously I jumped at the chance, first trying the gin neat and then with a little tonic - it was truly amazing.
Lynn went on to tell me about the botanicals it contained (Camomile,Pomelo and Honeysuckle) and also explained that it was still a London Dry Gin. I have to admit even though I have been drinking gin for more years than I care to admit, I had no idea what a London Dry Gin was so I was quite amazed by all the information she was able to tell me.
Bloom Gin is produced in the UK - Warrington to be precise by the independent distiller G&J Greenalls, they have been going for 250 years and although I am familiar with Greenalls own brand of gin which is available in most supermarkets, I had never seen anything quite like Bloom before.
Firstly it comes in the most fantastic looking pale green bottles, really unusual with a lovely vine design in the glass and also around the neck, it is a corked product which makes the whole package look very premium.
The gin itself has a real smoothness and whilst it has a sweet and citrus note it is not sickly in anyway (I always find Bombay Sapphire too overpowering in this way). I found when drunk neat that it also had an unexpectedly warm feeling quite different from any other gins I have tried.
I tried it with the usual tonic and once again it was so smooth whilst not overpowering the tonic, they also had it there mixed with some Rose Lemonade and I must say although this would not be my choice of how to drink it, this would be a different and lovely way to enjoy it on a summers day and seemed to be attracting the attention of many non gin drinkers as well as the more ardent ones.

In summary I personally think that it would be difficult, unless you are a truely hardened traditional gin drinker, not to find something about this gin to like, try it if your usual tipple is a Bombay Sapphire or a Tanquerary or even if you don't particularly like gin.

On top of that they also have a very unusual branded gin glass which they sell in a beautiful hamper, this is a large bulbous glass which is based on the glasses used in Spain for drinking gin, at first I thought it was a little odd but having now tried it, it really does enhance the experience as it traps all the beautiful floral aromas.

I must say a final word about the incredible enthusiasm for the product that the people on the stand had, Lynn, the young lady whom I was speaking to was a fountain of knowledge about all the botanicals that were in the gin which was absolutely fascinating. I only found out later that all the people on the stand actually work for G&J Greenall which would account for the fantastic buzz they were able to create and it comes as little suprise to me that with all that enthusiasm they are able to create the most amazing gins.

If you're tired of the traditional Gin and Tonic then try this it really is something quite different.

• Staffenburg published 10/12/2010
    Good first review, welcome to Ciao
  • dynamicnurse published 10/12/2010
    Welcome to Ciao, this is a really interesting review!

offers "Bloom Gin"