Board games: which are the best for you?

Review of "Board games: which are the best for you?"

published 30/07/2017 | jo-1976
Member since : 02/07/2009
Thanks for all the rates over the years. Goodbye Ciao!!!! Please use my referral link for a great paying survey site to fill your free time - https://www.prolific.ac/p?ref=T15OORQ0 . Log in daily to check for surveys
Pro Inexpensive form of family entertainment
Cons Don't appeal to all age ranges

"Not Bored of Board Games Yet"

Board games: which are the best for you?

With the schools now breaking up for six weeks of freedom I must admit that I'm hoping to spend as much time out of doors with the kids as possible. Nevertheless there are bound to be days where the weather is appalling and the holidays so far haven't got off to the most auspicious of starts. There is only so much indoor soft play that any family can cope with - ironically this is being typed from an indoor play centre as our outdoor plans have been called off thanks to heavy rain! At times like this it's good to have a selection of various board games to entertain the kids when they get bored of their tech.

Games for all ages

My kids are quite spaced out in age with the oldest being fourteen and usually outside in all weathers and rarely wanting to join in with family games, apart from the obligatory fun at Christmas time and the more electronic kind of interactive game, such as the many Bop It games. My ten year old tends to prefer online entertainment and console games but will join in on occasion so it is mainly my six year old son that plays board games regularly, so the majority of our games are those aimed at the younger age group.
Pre-School Games

We have a large selection of games for pre-school children that my youngest is now growing out of. I'm due to have a good clear out and pass on some of these games to somebody with younger children.

For pre-school children, I've long been a fan of the Orchard Toys range of games, some of which have the traditional 'board' to play on, where others are simple card based games. Orchard Toys are a British company and there range is great for early learning and often used in schools and nursery settings. Some of our favourites include:
  • Greedy Gorilla - £8.83 (Amazon)
  • Yo Ho Ho! - £7.50 (Amazon)
  • Crazy Chefs - £7.49 (Amazon)
  • Rocket Game- £7.44 (Amazon)
  • Pop To The Shops- £8.86 (Amazon)
  • Scaredy Cat - £7.50 (Amazon)
  • Old MacDonald Lotto - £8.99 (Amazon)

As well as these kinds of educational games, we have enjoyed a selection of games where the educational benefits are quite limited but the games themselves are pure fun. The kids particularly enjoy games featuring mess, noise and water, such as the Splashy the Whale game, which squirts out water to heavy handed players. We also like the more traditional children's board games, with our collection including various incarnations of classics such as Guess Who? and Operation.
  • Guess Who? - £11.99 (Argos)
  • Operation- £14.99 (Toys R Us)
  • Splashy The Whale- £15.99 (Smyths Toys)

Family Fun
It is great to get together with extended family at Christmas time and for other special occasions. Here the sillier the game, the better. We're not a family that enjoys sitting down to a round of Trivial Pursuit or Monopoly, although we do enjoy silly trivia games such as the Diary of a Wimpy Kid themed 'Don't Scramble the Egg' game. Something as daft as Pie Face is much more our style and the kids have great fun in filming their aunts, uncle and grandparents getting their faces covered in cream and watching it over and over again. Funnily enough it always seems to be the adult family members that end up with the worst of it and the kids seem to get away without getting pied! I'm not sure how I get caught out almost every time!
  • Pie Face - £14.99 (Smyths Toys)
  • Don't Scramble The Egg - £10.60 (Amazon)
Travel Games
One of the good things about some games is their portability and lack of batteries. We had to dash off to A&E the other day and knew that we would be in for a long wait. Along with the obligatory iPads, I also grabbed some books and a pack of Uno cards as they could still be used long after the batteries had died on the boys gadgets. We actually own two packs of Uno as they introduced a new version with blank cards, giving the boys the opportunity to design their own special cards to make the game even more fun. (Yes, we now have a 'pick up six' card to add to the game!)

* Uno - £8.99 (Argos)

Overall Recommendation

Whilst we are not a family to set aside formal 'games nights' we do still enjoy playing games together as a family on special occasions. Board games - with or without the traditional fold up board base - offer a chance to get together without needing any technology and encourage interaction, learning and good old-fashioned fun.

• jb0077 published 19/08/2017
    vh
  • siberian-queen published 16/08/2017
    great review
  • danielclark691 published 14/08/2017
    super

Product Information : Board games: which are the best for you?

Listed on Ciao since: 19/07/2017