Board games: which are the best for you?

Review of "Board games: which are the best for you?"

published 28/07/2017 | kiss_me2070
Member since : 11/02/2004
A huge thanks for all the reads, rates and comments. It's much appreciated :)
Pro still some great board games out there, fun for all the family
Cons not as good quality now, unfortunately tablets are taking over

"Our Sunday's and Holiday's Were All About Board Games."

= = = = = = =
Board Games
= = = = = = =
As a child, me and my sister used to love playing board games and we had a huge range of board games that we would regularly play over the summer holidays and weekends. We used to spend a whole Sunday playing various different games and making a note of who won what game and then see who won the most game at the end of the day. Although there are still lots of board games around now, unfortunately, I don’t think children play with them as much now as me and my sister used to due to having things such as tablets and computers which children tend to play on a lot now. My nephews have quite a few board games and my youngest nephew in particular has his favourite games to play as does my older nephew. They enjoy playing games every now and again and have quite a few games in their collection; although some of the games they have aren’t what they used to be and they have changed a lot now. I find that the games now and are unfortunately made from cheaper plastic and bits and don’t seem as good quality as they used to be when me and my sister used to play games.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Board Games I Have Enjoyed
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Unfortunately, some of the games me and my sister used to play are no longer available to purchase in stores; although some still can be purchased from places such as eBay but some of the old board games can go for a ridiculous price, just due to the age of them and the fact they are no longer available to purchase in the shops. So, some of my favourite games were:

• Disney Storyboards - The aim is to be the first player to re-create a story-board of a classic Disney film. There are six films to choose from - Bambi, Cinderella, 101 Dalmatians, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty and Peter Pan. A nice feature of the game is that each player has a chance to play a card on every turn. Each roll of the dice (and Merlin's wheel) provides a card reference allowing players to place cards in their hands onto their storyboards. The packs of cards had 20 beautiful frames from key moments of each film plus Merlin and Tinkerbell cards. I always used to choose Bambi when playing this game and me and my sister used to love looking at all the picture cards.

• The Shopping Game – This was a game from the Early Learning Centre and it was my sister’s game; although we always shared our games and things. The game had a board with various sections and picture cards such as cheese, bread, baked beans and more. The aim of the game was to go around the supermarket and get one item of each although as you make your way round the board you can land on different squares telling you to put items back, etc. As far as I am aware there are not any other games like this one now.

• Junior Cluedo – I used to love playing this as a child, and I have no idea what the Junior Cluedo version is like now but when I had this game there would be a black magnifying glass in the centre of the board with red film where the glass should be. As you entered the rooms you could use the magnifying glass to look at the pictures. You had to remember where three ghosts were in order to go the centre and then say where you think the ghosts were. If you were right then you were the winner of the game.

• Guess Who – This game has changed so much to how I remember it. My nephews have a version of Guess Who which is an electronic version and not only does it have people but it has monsters, animals and house-hold items on the cards as well. My youngest nephew sometimes struggles with this game as some of the pictures are not very clear. My nephew could quite happily play this game for a good hour or so changing the different cards around.

• Pairs – Although a very simple game me and my sister had a great set of pair’s cards. These cards were thick and had various pictures on such as cake, fish, teapot, boat and more. We used to play a few games of this whenever we played it. Although this is a simple game it does get you thinking as you have to try and remember where some of the cards are in order to match them up with others. My mum also sued to enjoy playing this with us as well. You can still get pairs now and they do various different versions, featuring favourite children’s characters.

= = = =
Overall
= = = =
Board games are fun and me and my sister used to have so much fun playing games, as there weren’t things such as tablets when we were children and we didn’t have a main desktop computer until we were a little older and that didn’t really have any decent games on it anyway. When visiting my nan and grandad’s we always used to take a couple of games with us to keep us entertained. Although board games still sell, I think a lot of children spend more time on tablets or in front of a TV screen which is a real shame. My sister and her partner do limit their children on how much time they spend on their tablets. I hope board games never come to an end as they are enjoyable and a great way to entertain and spend time with the family.

• euphie published 06/08/2017
    vh :o)
  • Secre published 02/08/2017
    Nicely done
  • 2mennycds published 02/08/2017
    nicely done!

Product Information : Board games: which are the best for you?

Listed on Ciao since: 19/07/2017