Bob Marley Mausoleum, Nine Mile

Bob Marley Mausoleum, Nine Mile

Attraction

Review of "Bob Marley Mausoleum, Nine Mile"

published 06/07/2017 | NBCMad92
Member since : 23/11/2015
Thank you to everyone who helped me get to Orange! Onto Bronze now! Getting sick of Ciao messing up...
Pro Interesting, Paying Respect, Cedella Booker Sauces
Cons "Special" Cigarettes May Be A Problem To Come, Lots Of Walking
Prices
Is it worth visiting?
Transport links
Family Friendly

"Let's Get Together And Feel Alright!"

Bob Marley Mausoleum Tour

Bob Marley Mausoleum Tour

Before my friend and I went on our trip to Jamaica, we decided that this was going to be a relaxing holiday rather than the madness that was America a few years ago. As much as it was going to be a relaxing holiday, we did want to do a few things and decided to pick our top 3. I said that if we are going to Jamaica, then we have to visit Bob Marley, it would be a dishonor if we did not. Booking through our rep, we booked the Bob Marley Mausoleum tour and was soon staring at the grave of the legend himself.

Bob Marley

Robert Nesta Marley (more commonly known as Bob Marley) was a Jamaican singer, musician and songwriter known for his reggae music. His well known hits are "Three Little Birds", "One Love", Redemption Song", "Jamming" and "Is This Love", to name a few.

Born in February 1945, he found his love for music whilst still in primary school with his friend who we might know as Bunny Wailer.

In 1966 he married Rita Anderson to whom he had four children with (one of which Marley adopted). Rita was also part of The Wailers and continued alongside Marley throughout a large part of his career. Bob Marley was raised as a Catholic but during the 60s he became a Rastafarian after becoming interested in their beliefs.

He became part of a group called The Wailers and the group became extremely popular, even being fired from one gig because they were more popular than the bands they were opening for. In 1974, The Wailers disbanded after members wished to take on solo careers. Although the band had disbanded, Marley continued to record music as "Bob Marley and The Wailers and created his first hit outside of Jamaica "No Woman, No Cry".

In 1976, Marley was a victim of a shooting before he was to perform onstage at the Smile Jamaica concert. He had minor wounds but still continued to perform as scheduled even though it was only two days since he had been shot by unknown people. When asked, he replied "The people who are trying to make this world worse aren't taking a day off. How can I?".

Although Marley is now an icon to reggae music, at the beginning many of the Jamaican community were not jamming to his music. He mentioned that he wanted more black people to get involved with his music but there seemed to be many white people more involved. He liked black people keeping to their roots and one time insulted a fan who had straightened her hair when she met him, telling her she looked ugly because she did not have her natural afro hair.

Marley continued to have a full and fruitful career with his albums like "Uprising" and "Exodus" and released hit after hit.

Marley was known for having many relationships and went to have 11 children with different women.

In 1977, Marley was diagnosed with melanoma which was discovered after he had injured his toe during a game of football. He ignored doctor's advice to remove the toe as his would have effected his career. Sadly, the melanoma spread throughout his body and he passed away in May 1981; His last words to his son Ziggy Marley was "Money can't buy life".

Although Bob Marley has passed his music, influence and memory lives on to this very day with so many generations of people knowing the legend who is Bob Marley.

Booking

You will more than likely be able to book this trip through your rep when you are at the hotel. We were with First Choice and I would be very surprised if a company did not offer this trip. Booking is very simple, you can either book before you go or book when you are at your hotel. We booked when we was at the hotel.

Cost

It was not expensive to go but I believe it was the most expensive out of all our trips, costing just under £100. This included transfers and a meal.

What Do You Need

- Camera
You will want to take photos whilst you are there. There is also beautiful scenery around to take photos of. Please note that you are not allowed to take photographs in the Mausoleum.

- Money
There is a shop there were you can purchase sauces, spices, clothing and other souvenirs. There are also stalls where you can buy... other things from as well.

- Suncream
Cannot stress enough how hot it is out there.

Bob Marley Mausoleum

You start your trip with the transfer, the driver was extremely friendly and will give you bits of information about Jamaica and Bob Marley himself. We drove past his primary school and stopped off at the "Nine Mile" sign to take a photograph.

When you walk into the house, you are purchase a candle to light in respect to Marley. We went up to the bar and had Bob Marley shot which was lit on fire before we drank it. I must say that this shot woke me up indefinitely. It was extremely strong and big.

We walked around the house and saw how Bob Marley had lived his childhood. We saw the kitchen where his mother cooked and created her special sauces and spices that you can purchase there and his bedroom. There is an old urban legend that because Marley had so many children, his bed was "known" to make women pregnant. I made sure I did not touch that bed at all.

When we went outside there was a band which played us some of Bob Marley's hits. I had a little dance with our tour guide but I think I might have beat him in jamming. We also sampled Cedella Booker (Marley's mother) sauces which are absolutely lovely. You can purchase these for around $10 each or I think it was 3 for $16? I'm not too sure, I purchased the tomato sauce, jerk sauce and hot sauce which I took home for my family. My father is diabetic and when I spoke to the tour guide he assured me that it would be okay for my father to have these sauces as long as it was not completely covered in the stuff. You do not need to use a lot of the sauce to get the kick though. You can purchase these and leave them at the stall to pick up on your way back.

Going through to the garden, we saw the graves of Marley's grandparents. We also saw the rock which he laid on at night when he was thinking about his music.

Before we went into the Mausoleum we were told that no shoes were allowed and no photographs were to be taken. You are not allowed to eat, drink or smoke in the Mausoleum. You are only allowed to smoke "special" cigarettes.

After this, we got back on the coach and set off to get some food which was tasty. Jerk chicken of course and was taken home.

Thoughts

I had a lot of fun on this trip and it was really interesting to hear the life of Bob Marley and learn about his family as well. It was interesting to see how the man had lived, even down to the small details like the rock he would lay on when thinking at night. Seeing his Mausoleum was quite sad but lovely to see the candles that were lit for him as well as cards left by other tourists paying their respects to the legend.

Even though I am not a massive Bob Marley fan, I enjoyed listening to the music and found this experience to be amazing. Something that I definitely am glad that we did.

Child Friendly

I would say that this is not a trip for children mainly because of the "special" cigarettes. I know if you are going to go to Jamaica you have to respect that people are going to be smoking but this trip is quite an adult trip and I think children would not enjoy it so much. They may get a little board because it is mainly walking around and listening to someone talk about Marley.

Disability Friendly

I would not recommend it to someone who had a physical disability. There is a lot of stairs, hills and walking to do.

Would I Recommend

It would be an insult if you went to Jamaica and did not visit Bob Marley. It is a truly amazing experience and interesting to learn his history. I would recommend it to anyone who is going to Jamaica.

THIS PART IS ADULTS ONLY

When we got to Marley's house, there is a stall outside that sells a "special" cake which costs around $25 a slice (as well as other special things to purchase). You are recommended to not eat this cake in one and only eat it in small pieces as it is very strong. I would tell you a funny story but I am not going to, please write to me if you want to know! Please note that "special substances" are decriminalised in Jamaica under 3onz so it is not entirely legal. You are allowed to smoke anywhere in Jamaica (depending on if there is a designated smoking area).

Thank you for reading my review.

• jb0077 published 22/07/2017