donnabroo... 1

donnabroom

About me: Ahh - stop telling me "rating the review is only possible after the entire revies has been read"! I have read the review!!!!!!

Member since:24.04.2005

Terrible

21.04.2009 (22.04.2009)

Advantages:
None

Disadvantages:
See review

Recommendable No:

19 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. sandemp
  2. TheHairyGodmother
  3. paulpry118

Bob Martin's Multi-Purpose Flea Spray

My completely gorgeous kitten Tifa caught fleas recently and I have to say they were HUGE! I have had cats before, (right up until I left home), and I have never seen cat fleas this big. (Sorry I know it's not completely relevant to the review but I am one of those doting owners). Anyway I stupidly sent the other half out to get some spot on but he came home with a big bottle of Bob Martins multi purpose flea spray.

Apparently this is suitable for killing fleas on cats, dogs and soft furnishings. I say apparently because personally, I feel this is only any good for the bin, (or maybe dogs)!

It all started to go wrong for me when I read the instructions through. They started with the phrase, "Get you pet's fur wet". Now anyone with a cat will realize that getting a cat wet is no small feat. It then said to rub the product into the fur really well, even between the toes! Most cats don't like having their paws touched let alone having their claws extended and someone rubbing something in!

Needless to say I was highly dubious about even being able to us this product but I decided to give it a go seeing as we'd paid a staggering 7.50. I opted for showering Tifa and to my surprise she didn't mind too much, she tried to escape a few times but I managed to fully wet her fur, (she looked so cute when she was wet). The next part was hard though, she hated the noise the pump action spray made and clawed and bit me when I tried to rub the stuff into her fur. She just would not let me do her paws and I bet I missed so much of her fur because she wriggled and fought so much.

I bet this would be better for dogs because they can be trained and made to stay still but for cats I think this a bad system!

At least it didn't smell too bad; I think it smelt vaguely of peppermint so that's a plus point. Tifa didn't seem to like the smell though and she certainly didn't like the taste when she proceeded to clean herself for over an hour and a half. I can't really see what see what good it did when she cleaned most of it straight back off.

As for using this stuff on furnishings, (I tried it on a rug and her bedding), I can say it worked, all the fleas died but it made everything very wet and they took a full day to dry again which wouldn't have been very practical for the sofa etc as you can't use them soaking wet!

The list of ingredients means nothing to me but if you really want a look before you buy check out the Bob Martin's website, (http://www.bobmartin.co.uk). Likewise for the warnings, (excessive salivating, shortness of breath etc). One thing I will say is the packaging didn't warn about the risk to my health but both me and the other half got ill after using this. I can't prove it had anything to do with this spray but I definitely won't be risking it again.

I don't think I really need to say it but I didn't like this product and won't be using it again, it didn't even kill the fleas on the cat. It was hard to use, the cat hated it, I got ill and it wasn't even good for the furnishings. It hasn't put me off all Bob Martin's products though because I have used and do use several of their products with great success.
Pictures of Bob Martins All In One Flea Spray
Bob Martins All In One Flea Spray Tifa
Her normal happy self!

paulpry118 16.05.2009 00:32

Ah what a cutie. I always use front line to keep on top of a flea problem, mind you I do have two dogs and three cats so if we get fleas it becomes a major problem.

MarcoG 22.04.2009 21:34

Poor Tifa :(

Amy69 21.04.2009 19:51

Aww what a cute name for a cat! I hope my Tish never gets any fleas! xx