Boilies

Review of "Boilies"

published 09/03/2001 | andycharger
Member since : 02/08/2000
Pro Good baits
Cons Were cruel to the fish.

"Strawberries and Cream worked a dream"

Im big, BIG into my fish KEEPING now. Once upon a time I was BIG into my fish CATCHING. Its only recently that I realised its not nice being forced the wrong way through the water with all of your bodyweight dragged along by a hook through your lip.
Still as a teenager, I caught some great Carp.
There are 4 types of Carp really in the UK. Crucian Carp are much smaller than their 3 big brothers, the Mirror, the Leather and the Common Carp.
To hook the Crucians out, you simply need a bit of sweetcorn on a golden hook and bobs your uncle.
Early in the season, you can catch the smaller carp of the top with dog biscuits. I used to prefer to hunt deeper in the water. In search of the big monsters.
It was because of this that I ledgered with boilies.
Floating ones could be used to keep your bait out of the silt or weeds.
I experimented for years with different types and flavours.
Yes Flavours.
These small balls that are about 2cm in diameter ane semi hard and look like gobstoppers. You simply hook them on and cast out. They came in bags of 100 and were good at staying on your hook. Not like the softer cheese and bread baits.
Now the flavours really did make a difference. You could get them in all sorts of weird and wonderful flavours and additives to flavour your own.
My personal favourite was Strawberries and cream. Not only did they smell gorgeous but they were the best at attracting the bigger fish.
I hooked a few double figure mirrors and one large Common carp in one evening in August once on this bait.
The only drawback was that there were rumours that the fish could not digest them. Im not sure if this was true but i found it cruel.
I gave up hunting man's swimming friends and decided to repent by keeping 3 huge tanks of tropical fish as an apology to the aquatic world!!!

• jasper31 published 29/07/2001
    The way things have improved in the fishing world has been dramatic. After all this time the carp anglers of this little country are still using bollies. Not only do Carp love them but now many species of fish in this country love them too. As for them not being digested properly, that was one hell of a wind-up that swept the country. Probably made up by someone who wasn't having much success from using bollies.
  • anjib published 13/03/2001
    Good op. Seemed like a waste of good strawberries and cream though.
  • witchwaysup published 09/03/2001
    Hmmm.. I'm confused. If you are feeling guilty about catching fish, how come you are recommending a good bait? Good Opinion anyway!