Bondi Beach (Sydney)

Bondi Beach (Sydney)

Review of "Bondi Beach (Sydney)"

published 28/09/2008 | LIZKEMPO
Member since : 11/09/2003
Is living in Australia for a year so lots of travel reviews coming your way! Trying to read and rate as much as i can xx
Good
Pro Nice to see
Cons too crowded
Location
How big is the market?
Prices
How often is this market held?

"Life's a beach! lol"

Bondi Beach

Bondi Beach

Bondi Beach is one of Australia's most famous beaches, located in Sydney it is a huge tourist destination. Bondo or 'Boondi' is an Aboriganal name meaning 'Water breaking over rocks' or 'noise of water breaking over rocks'

It is a 1 kilometre stretch of lovely sandy beach but not as tranquil as I would have liked, in fact it was over crowded with holiday makers and a squeeze to find a spot to sunbathe.

I would highly recommend the Coogee to Bondi Beach walk, this is great day out and a chance to experience some of the smaller beaches along the way. The Bondi Market is worth a visit, held each Sunday 10am 5pm, Bondi also offers a varity of coffee shops and eating places.

Bondi is also a popular spot for Christmas day, although it does not offer free built in BBQ's like some of the other beaches it is bring your own. Also the consumption of alcohol has been banned from the beach and bags are searched before you are allowed to enter. I think this is because hoards of backpackers have flocked to the beach in the past and have left it in disarray also this is to stop any unfortunate accidents from occurring.

If you are still determined to head to Bondi for Christmas then I recommend the Sunburnt Christmas Party which is held each year at a pavilion at Bondi.

Bondi Beach is also the film set to reality TV series Bondi Rescue which follows the role of the life guards and the incidents they have to deal with on a daily basis, on the two occasions I was at Bondi I watched them filming. On Christmas Day they had to pull a drunken backpacker from the sea and get him to safety, I am pleased to say that he was ok in the end thanks to the team's hard work and best efforts.

When swimming at this beach look out for the coloured flags put out by the life guards for your safety. Also make sure you listen to all announcements, while I was at Bondi a swell was bring loads of jelly fish to the shore and lots of people where getting stung, very loud and clear announcements to stay out of the water where being made but a lot of people did not listen.

Bondi Beach is also a good spot if you are wanting to learn to surf although I would recommend a quieter beach if a beginner.

I am glad that I got to see this beach but I think Sydney and Australia has a lot better beaches to offer.

• Shoka published 30/09/2008
    I did the beach walk, it really was terrific. The only complaint I had was in September when I was there the weather was fab but the water was icy. So swimming was a bit traumatic. Had to go up to Queensland for the sort of water temp I was expecting.
  • Gary25 published 29/09/2008
    Some interesting facts there and fabulous pictures.
  • majeedkazi published 29/09/2008
    Well Reviewed....

Product Information : Bondi Beach (Sydney)

Listed on Ciao since: 05/09/2001