Books for Children

Books for Children

Review of "Books for Children"

published 11/01/2005 | rachelkanga
Member since : 10/09/2002
Good
Pro Order from a catalogue sent monthly
Cons Expensive and Costly to return
Variety on offer
Catalogue
Purchase obligations

"Never Again"

I joined Books For Children around 2 years ago as I love reading and wanted to encourage my eldest daughter to read enthusiastically also. I received a leaflet through the post with a great offer to buy 5 books from 25p each and get 1 free.

Looking through I was amazed at the quality of the books on offer including The Tales of Peter Rabbit Complete Series for next to nothing, so I decided to join.

The products I ordered arrived very swiftly and I made payment easily over the internet.

Unfortunately this is about the best service I have ever received from the company. A month after my first delivery I received their catalogue which was stacked with colourful illustrations from the books that they had to offer designed for children of all age groups, they also include a recommendation of a book they feel you may be interested in, but I could not believe the price. These books are supposed to be at a discount of recommended retail value but I have managed to purchase most of them in town for less.

I did manage to find 1 book however that was considerably cheaper than elsewhere and using the option of the website to order, you can also use the telephone or post, placed my order. The advantages of placing an order like this is that it is on account therefore you do not have to have the money at the time of your order but can wait until the statement arrives. Most orders are usually delivered within 7 days and then a statement is sent shortly afterwards with alternative options for payment.

They do offer a returns service where you ring and a return label is sent to you at a cost of £2.00 which is cheaper than paying the postage yourself.

You must also remember to cancel the recommended choice every 4 weeks or this will be sent automatically to and you will have to pay to return. Sometimes however cancelling by website does not work and I have received the cancelled item twice and have subsequently had to pay to return it when I did not want it to start with and had let them know.

However. Should a parcel not arrive the goods are cancelled at their end but they do not cancel postage. I have had this happen twice in the past 2 months and have therefore cancelled my agreement with them as I do not see why I should pay postage on products I am not receiving.

The website has everything you need from books, ordering information, DVD's and Video's, Games and software and a shop where you can buy other items. The site is bright and very colourful and very easy to navigate and all the books are sorted into Age categories.

If you do decide to use this company then you will not be disappointed by the introductory offer. You will be able to save around £60 or more by buying books from 50p each. There is a commitment to buy 6 books from the booklet over (I think) 2 years with at least 3 in the first year (Which i dont think is too bad actually).

I hope that should you use the service you have a better time than I di.

• LUNAH_C published 02/02/2005
    Had similar problems with them too.
  • Nicelissa published 12/01/2005
    I've just joined BFC and placed my first order...now i'm wondering whether this was a good idea!! Thanks for the info! Nicola x
  • barefootbabe published 11/01/2005
    Unfortunately they're not the only book club that operates like this. Good op ~x~Sally~x~