Review of "Boots Essentials Cucumber Everyday Eye Gel"

published 10/11/2017 | Nymphypig
Member since : 14/05/2015
Good
Pro Very cooling and soothing on the skin
Cons Did nothing for puffiness and dark circles
How easily is it absorbed?

"Cooling and soothing, but does nothing for puffiness"

Some time ago now, I nipped into Boots to get a new cleanser and toner - I really like the Boots cucumber range, and noting that the stuff in that range was on a 3 for £3 offer, looked for something else in that range to try, my eyes alighting on the Everyday Eye Gel. A quick read through the info on the packet told me that this eye gel contained soothing cucumber and vitamins and "is easily absorbed to cool, refresh, reduce puffiness and lightly hydrate the delicate eye area."

Now, I do have slightly puffy skin around the eyes when I first wake up in the morning, as well as dark circles and, on very rare occasions, a little bit of dry skin. I quite liked the sound of something that would reduce that puffiness and offer a bit of soothing comfort, so popped it into my basket to complete the offer, and looked forward to trying it at home.
Packaging

This comes in a small clear tube with a twist off cap, and the gel dispenses by squeezing the tube and dispensing a small amount onto a fingertip. Although this is perhaps slightly more wasteful than a roll-on style gel packaging, it does offer the benefit of being more hygienic - the ball isn't picking up germs that can be harboured in the tube, which I appreciate. The packaging contains all the information you need to use this - which frankly isn't much - pub a dab on your finger, and smooth over your eye lids.

Usage

Applying this is simple as already outlined above. Simply add this into your usual morning and night skincare routine - once you've cleansed and toned, apply this to your eye area at the moisturising stage.

The clear, light gel has a nice fresh cucumber smell to it, quite light and really not detectable for very long after the gel is applied. The gel feels immediately cooling and soothing on the eye area, and really quite relaxing. I've found this especially soothing on a couple of occasions when I had the flu lately, and my eyes were quite sore and achy - it did provide some immediate relief. It was fast to absorb, and I was able to apply makeup mere minutes after applying.

I can't say that this has in any way reduced puffiness though. I still have some slight bags under my eyes. It's also had no effect on my dark circles, though as it never claimed it would I can't hold that against it!

However, my skin around my eyes did seem a smidge less dry.

Final thoughts

At £1.50 a tube, but frequently available as part of the 3 for £3 promotion, this certainly isn't expensive, and it's certainly something I don't mind keeping around just for the soothing factor. However, the hunt for something that will change the appearance of the bags and dark circles continues!

3 stars - cooling and soothing, but didn't really reduce puffiness, and lets face it, a slice of actual cucumber will soothe just as well.

• SnowSurprise published 19/11/2017