Review of "Boots Essentials Lip Salve Original SPF 15"

published 20/02/2013 | Absinthe_Fairy
Member since : 03/01/2011
Happy 2016!
Pro Cheap, works, contains SPF
Cons Fragile packaging, not as moisturising as I would like, a bit too thick
Absorbency
Gloss?
Frequency of Reapplication

"Basic lip balm that does the job"

Boots Essentials Lip Salve Original SPF 15

Boots Essentials Lip Salve Original SPF 15

I have lots of lip products lying about and really shouldn't be buying any more, but a few months ago I stupidly went out for the day without my lip balm. Not wanting to end up with dry, chapped lips, I popped into Boots and bought the cheapest lip balm I could find - which was the Boots Essentials Lipsalve for the bargain price of £1.01 (though why they couldn't just charge £1 beats me!).

A few varieties were available, but I chose the Original lipsalve in the blue packaging because it had an SPF of 15, and at the time I bought it we were in the middle of summer. The packaging states that the product is dermatologically tested, and that it protects and moisturises lips.

The salve comes in a twist-up tube with a white base and blue lid. I thought the packaging looked a bit fragile but though the white base has cracked at one part, the whole thing hasn't come apart even though it has been jolted around in my bag. The salve itself is white and plain-looking; it doesn't smell or taste of anything in particular either.

The salve applies to the lips easily, though it is a little thicker than I would have liked. It keeps my lips reasonably soft and I don't have to apply it too often. It isn't as moisturising as I would like but it does a good job for the price.

This isn't the most exciting lip balm I have ever used, or the most effective. However, the price makes it worth a purchase, particularly during the summer when it's important to protect the thin skin of your lips from the sun.

• mumsymary published 20/02/2013
    I haveused this its ok
  • tomsox published 20/02/2013
    Factual and to the point review :)