Boots Expert Bikini Hair Removal Cream

Boots Expert Bikini Hair Removal Cream

Hair Removal Creams

Review of "Boots Expert Bikini Hair Removal Cream"

published 18/12/2010 | Loubenet
Member since : 07/09/2010
Pro Doesn't irritate. The finishing cream was ok.
Cons It doesn't work. Hair was not removed.
How does it affect your skin?
Next hair removal necessary after
Does it smell good?

"Expert Hair Removal Cream Not Expert Enough"

When I started at uni I figured I should probably try and keep fit. The local pool was offering discounts to students so I decided to start going swimming regularly. Swimming regularly, however, meant regularly wearing a swimming costume and that calls for a decent method of bikini hair removal. Although shaving is ok for me, it can irritate a bit and leave stubble, so I figured I would try something else. I spotted 'Boots Expert Bikini Hair Removal Cream' in Boots and as it was a little cheaper than other hair removal creams at around £5.00 and the packaging stated that it was especially for the bikini line I decided to give it a go. The packaging is quite plain and doesn't stand at at all, but I was looking closely to see what was available. It's unlikely you would notice it in passing.

The cream claims to be fuss free and will work in 4 minutes. I have to say I did doubt that it would be fuss free sitting around in the bathroom starkers for 5 minutes covered in cream. But it would be worth it to get a nice smooth bikini line ready for that swim suit. I was quite excited about the thought of putting some cream on, then washing it off to find that my hair had vanished as if by magic. It was also especially for the sensitive bikini area so I hoped it wouldn't cause any irritation and I also hoped it would be able to deal with the tougher hairs found in that area.

The instructions tell you to spread the cream in vertical strips over the area, and to spread the cream out with the spatula provided until there's a thick and even layer covering the area. I found this easy enough. There was no stinging as the cream went on and it was of a fairly thick, but easily spreadable texture. You then sit back and wait for 3 or 4 minutes for it to work it's magic. It's sensible to set a timer or alarm on your phone as you don't want to lose track of time and end up leaving it on too long. I did feel silly sitting there waiting for it to do it's work, I couldn't move much because when I did then the cream would end up in all sorts of places I didn't want it and then there'd no longer be enough covering the area I wanted to be hairless. It didn't smell great, but I hear most hair removal creams don't and it wasn't exactly unbearable.

After 4 minutes I followed the instructions and scraped away a small test area but unfortunately the hair was still there so I left it another 2 minutes.Still nothing. It says not to leave it on any longer than 10 minutes, so I went for the whole length of time allowed. After time was up, I washed away all of it under a running shower with a sponge and I was not impressed at all! Most of the hair was still there and only a few hairs had been removed. And the annoying thing was that the ones that had been removed had not been removed properly, but had been cut short and were now spiky bits of stubble. Not a good look. At least the smell had gone I suppose.

Thankfully my skin hadn't been irritated much though. I put on the finishing cream as a precaution to stop my skin getting red and inflamed and it was very cool and soothing. The finishing cream contains cocoa butter and vitamin E which is supposed to leave your skin soft. It had a nice runny texture and was pleasant to apply and rub in. It did leave my skin feeling nice and fairly soft, but the fact that I was left with most of the hair on my bikini line plus a few bits of stubble completely ruined the effect. Otherwise, I'm sure it would have made a smooth and hair free bikini line feel fabulous!

In conclusion this product doesn't work and it's messy. I had high hopes for this product as it was designed specifically for the bikini area and so one would expect it to be able to deal with the slightly coarser hair in that area, but it was a waste of my money. The only good thing about it is that it didn't cause my skin any irritation. Maybe it'll work for someone else, however I did not have a good experience and I would not recommend this product at all. Call yourself an Expert hair removal cream, well clearly not expert not. Only one star I'm afraid.

• GillyMN published 14/01/2011
    That's disappointing. I'd take it back.
  • j9j8j7 published 29/12/2010
    I used to swim a lot and I ended up getting an electric razor for the job. Creams just never seemed to work well enough to make it worth the effort.
  • wigglylittleworm published 28/12/2010
    the facial hair removal from boots expert is good but heard bad stuff about the leg hair removal