Boots IBS Relief

Boots IBS Relief

Review of "Boots IBS Relief"

published 17/03/2012 | sorehead
Member since : 30/04/2011
Pro They are very effective
Cons None
Side effects
Effectiveness

"It's a relief"

I have suffered on and off with IBS over the years. I fist found out I had this condition shortly before my wedding day almost 21 years ago now. I was getting constant abdominal cramps, distended stomach, the urge to open my bowels and quite often there was nothing there – the urge was there, but I couldn’t ‘produce’ anything, so to speak. At it’s worst, the condition is fairly debilitating and I was stuck in the house on the sick for a few weeks as every time I was going outside I was feeling the urgent need to find a toilet as quickly as I possibly could. I was feeling thoroughly miserable.

My GP prescribed peppermint iol capsules for me to relieve the stomach cramps and I had to drink copious amounts of Fibogel every day to add roughage to my diet. These remedies failed to work, to be honest, and I realised over a long period of time that my IBS is actually stress related - hence the onset before my wedding day!

Over the years I have flare ups but I try to control it through relaxation and eating sensibly and not getting myself too worked up about little things. Lately I have had a nasty flare up but instead of going back to my GP for more of the old Fibogel and peppermint oil capsules I decided to pop into Boots and ask the pharmacist for his advice.

He recommended Boot’s own brand of IBS relief (well, he would, wouldn’t he?) The active ingredient in these is Mebeverine Hydrochloride. I paid £4.99 for 15 tablets and I have to say they do work well for me.

I take one three times a day before meals when my condition is at its worst and I do find these help to reduce the stomach cramps, the tight feeling like a drum across my abdomen and the flatulence and the need to open my bowels with a massive urgency. All of these sensations are still there – they don’t go completly, but I feel now that I am more in control of my conditon, whereas previously it was getting completely out of control and grinding me down.

Apparently these tablets are not suitable for under 18’s and they must be swallowed whole with water and not chewed. They are far more effective than the Fibogel and the peppermint oil capsules I was prescribed by my GP and they are so easy to take.

Highly recommended.

• Coloneljohn published 29/03/2012
    Well reviewed. John
  • JasonJRogers published 17/03/2012
    Great read!
  • sorehead published 17/03/2012
    you chatting me up??? lol - the advantage of having a lot of facial hair my friend