Review of "Boots Moisturising Nail Polish Remover Pads"

published 04/05/2011 | neenn
Member since : 31/12/2005
Pro Removes thickly coated nail polish.
Cons Not very cost effective for regular use.
Performance
Harshness to Skin

"Remove it!"

Prior to a recent trip abroad I wanted to take some nail polish remover with me but the thought of the bottle of varnish being broken and ending up all over my clothes in the suitcase, led me to try this little tub of pads out.

- Price and Packaging -

These are currently priced at £1.58 for 15 pads which works out at just over 10p per pad. More expensive than my traditional way of removing nail varnish but the convenience factor swayed me.

The pads come in a flat plastic cylindrical tub with a screw top lid so very small and easy to pack.

- What are they? -

The packaging promises removal of nail polish without any fuss. The thin white pads contain lanolin and vitamin E.

- Are they effective? -

The usage tip on the pack of the tub tells you to wipe each nail with a single stroke then work back through each nail with a firm rubbing action.

When I first used these I got what I thought was one quite thick pad but after starting to remove the varnish, realised that there were infact 2 stuck together. Needless to say it is quite tricky trying to get a single pad out at a time as they are packed down together so tightly so you really do need quite long nails to get them apart.

I was pleasantly surprised at the effectiveness of these pads at removing varnish. I tend to wear quite dark polish at the moment and even though I use two layers of undercoat it's sometimes hard to get all of the varnish off around the cuticle area as I'm not the most adept at applying it.

These pads do remove it although they feel a little greasy on the hands and I had to wash my hands straight afterwards although this wasn't a problem just an observation. They don't appear to have had any adverse effect on my nails unlike some liquid removers I have used which sometimes dry them out.

It does take quite a bit of gentle rubbing on my nails in different directions to remove the polish and I didn't find the 'tip' on the back of the packaging of a single stroke over the nail to be effective.

- Overall -

I will definitely be packing these for my next trip abroad. They are easy to store and seem to maintain their moisture if the screw top lid is securely fastened.
Not the most cost effective method of removing nail polish but more convenient for travelling.

• Coloneljohn published 22/05/2011
    Sounds like a good idea. John
  • carcraig published 05/05/2011