Boots Multivitamin Syrup 4 months - 12 years

Boots Multivitamin Syrup 4 months - 12 years

Boots Multivitamin Syrup. Essential vitamins for kids aged 4 months +. Great-tasting orange flavour.

Review of "Boots Multivitamin Syrup 4 months - 12 years"

published 30/04/2008 | mummy2harry
Member since : 12/04/2007
YAY I am finally silver! Wooo! Like books? Check out http://chicklitchloe.blogspot.com...
Pro Good tasting, easy to take, wide range of vitamins contained
Cons None really
Side effects
Effectiveness

"Harry's Daily Boost!"

Being a parent, we have to make all sorts of hard decision regarding our children. Some of these are quite major such as whether or not to give them the MMR injection, and choosing their nursery and schools, others not so much so such as what presents they receive for birthdays and Christmas! I've recently started taking a multi-vitamin myself, because I've been overly tired lately and I felt like I needed a boost. Whilst browsing the various ones in Boots, I noticed that they made a multi-vitamin syrup for young children. I had a chat with my mum about her opinion on it, and she told me she gave me and my brother vitamins when we were children, and we were always quite healthy. I decided then that it wouldn't do Harry any harm to have a Vitamin boost in his diet. So I grabbed a few bottles of this syrup and headed home.

Boots Multi-Vitamin Syrup is suitable for babies from 4 months old, until they are 12 years old. However, most children may want to progress to the chewy vitamins when they are old enough to do so (which is 3 years old) so perhaps this syrup is more intended for the younger age group. The syrup is sold in Boots stores amongst the Vitamins and other Supplements, so it's pretty easy to find. It comes in a brown glass bottle, which holds 200ml of the liquid. It also has te standard child safety cup so your toddler can't guzzle it all down! The label is bright pink and orange, so quite fun looking and eye-catching. This label has all the vital information on it, so its worth a read before you use it for the first time.

The syrup itself has a zingy orange flavour. Being in a brown bottle, you can't really see the colour, but when I put it onto the spoon for Harry to have, I was quite surprised at the colour! It is an almost illuminous yellow colour, and very runny, almost like water. I didn't expect it to be this colour, but Harry was happy, shouting "orange!" at me. I had a little sip off the end of the spoon and was really impressed by it. It was definitely orange flavour, quite zingy and actually very nice. Harry isn't keen on medicines after some foul tasting antibiotics he had a while ago, but after i made him taste a bit, he wanted the rest! I'm impressed with how much he likes it, it's good as this shows the product is really appealable to children.

Now, the dosing. Obviously the dose you give your child depends on their age group. For babies aged 4 months to 6 months, give them 2.5ml, 6 months to 1 year is 5ml, 1-3 years is 10ml and 3-12 years is 15 ml a day. You don't get a spoon or syringe with the product, so a spoon you get with Calpol will suffice. For young babies a syringe would be better, and if you just at the pharmacy in Boots, they'll supply you with one, much more mess-free than dripping everywhere with a spoon!

Of course, the other important thing about this syrup is what it actually contains in terms of vitamins. Well according to the label, this syrup contains: Vitamins A, D, E, C B6, Thiamin (Vit B1), Riboflavin (Vit. B2), Niacin (Vit B3), Pantothenic Acid (Vit. B5). The amount of each of these varies but this is all on the bottle. Of course, this syrup shouldn't be used as a substitute for a good varied diet, your child should still eat plenty of fruit, veg and meat in their diet, this is just a good boost for them. This syrup is free from arificial colours and flavours, so I don't know how they get it to be that bright yellow colour but there you go! The label tells you NOT to exceed the stated dose, and that when the bottle is open, to store it in the fridge and to use with 8 weeks.

On Harry's daily amount level of 10ml a day, this 200ml bottle will last me 20 days, so two-thirds of a month which isn't bad. A bottle of this syrup costs £2.19 from Boots the Chemist, so it'll be about £3 a month for a 1-3 year old which is nothing really. At the moment, Boots have all Vitamins at 3 for 2, so I got 3 months supply of Harry's vitamins for £4.40. The product has a long expiration date too (my bottles have 07-2009 so plenty of time to use it) on, so its worth stocking up when these offers are on.

I hope my review has been helpful to you. Vitamins are essential to children to keep them healthy and Doctors do recommend that they have a boost of the basic vitamins just to keep levels up. In my opinion, a little boost in these can't do any harm to Harry, and just keep him nice and healthy. For more information on other vitamins for children, see http://www.boots.com/onlineexperience/flexible_template_2006.jsp?classifica tionid=1051044 or foradvice about vitamin supplements in general, see http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?ArticleId=1122#.

• just.bcoz published 30/04/2008
    Great review x
  • MarcoG published 30/04/2008
    Very informative and well written review x
  • marymoose99 published 30/04/2008
    Not doing any harm?! That's not what the news said about vitamin supplements the other day - lol!