Review of "Boots No.7 Amazing Eye Pencil - Black"

published 02/03/2012 | Panda.Eyes
Member since : 05/05/2011
Hey, you may know me as PandaEyes from DooYoo. Thank you for reading my reviews and I always try to read and rate others back :)
Pro Sponge applicator included for a smudge effect,easy and quick to apply
Cons Can smudge easily if not careful
Waterproof?
Does it irritate your eyes?

"Panda Eyes may occur!"

I bought this recently when I had a £5 voucher for No7 that I received for spending more than £5 in Boots. I didn't plan on spending much more and so was just looking for the cheapest products that I could use my voucher on. I usually just buy their Quick Thinking 3-in-1 wipes but as I already had lots of these I looked for something different, and this Amazing Eyes pencil caught my eye. I had used No7's metallic eye pencils in the past and remember these being very creamy, which is what I like so it doesn't irritate my eyes when applying it, and I hoped this eye pencil would be just the same, except for the colour. I opted for the black one as this is what I wear daily, but this is also available in grey or brown.

I much prefer felt tip eyeliners now ever since I first used one earlier this year. However, I still like to use eye pencils for everyday wear as they are much quicker to apply, and also don't appear as dark and 'cat-eyed' that felt tip liners leave your eyes looking. I really love that look, but for work I like to tone it down and also I have no patience in the morning! I just like to quickly apply my make-up and leave and this Amazing Eyes pencil allows me to do that.

The black colour goes on very dark on the first application and so I don't need to spend time going over it again to get it darker, one sweep really is enough! It is also so creamy that it feels so soft and doesn't drag your skin when applying. However, there is one downside to the pencils creamy texture and that is that it is easy to smudge. This may be a good thing for some people, especially as the eye pencil includes a smudger sponge on the other end to allow you to do this, however for me I like the thick and dark precise line along my eye. Therefore I really do only apply it the once as any more than this may result in it being smudged more easily.

For the sake of this review I did test out the sponge tip on the other end of the pencil and it works really well. I think the look would be nice for a night out, but I seemed to use quite a lot of the pencil on my eye when doing this and so I needed to sharpen it after, but I have found that I am often sharpening this anyway as the creamy pencil wears down very quickly due to its softness.

Another good thing about this is how long it lasts on the eye. I have found this lasts all day and there is no need to reapply this during the day, but I do need to be careful not to rub my eyes, as it definitely won't stay in place then.

This Amazing Eyes pencil costs £7.75 and is available from Boots in store as well as online. I used my £5 voucher against this though and so only paid £2.75 which is great value. I don't think I would buy another for the full price as there are other eye pencils I have used that are just as good, but a lot cheaper. If I used the sponge applicator that is included with this then I might consider this as not a lot of eye pencils include this, and often they won't be as easy to smudge as this one. However, as I don't use this then I won't be buying another until I receive another voucher!

• MrBrightside1987 published 08/04/2012