Boots Shapers Tomato & Basil Chicken

Boots Shapers Tomato & Basil Chicken

Chicken - Healthier

Review of "Boots Shapers Tomato & Basil Chicken"

published 27/04/2006 | Tadders
Member since : 15/07/2005
Pro Tasty, healthy and a reasonable price
Cons Not many, other than a dodgy fork!
Smell
Product Quality

"Slim down with Shapers Salads"

Brought to us from Boots Shapers Range, Tomato & Basil Chicken is just one of a selection of salads, which have been designed to cater for those who are either trying to lose weight, maintain their current weight, or simply eat well. As well as salads, Shapers has a range of about 100 different high-quality food products, including wraps, sandwiches, flatbreads, fruit, desserts, nuts and a wide variety of other snacks including low-fat crisps and baked goods. To make life easier, each product has a label on it, which clearly explains the nutritional values in each product as well as the ingredients, so it is helpful to both dieters and allergy sufferers alike.

WHAT DOES THE PRODUCT LOOK LIKE?

The short answer is absolutely NOTHING like the blurry image (which looks a bit like some past-their-best prawns in a bowl to me) above. I'm not even sure the picture shows a product I recognise from the Shapers range! I really must get out my camera or RICHADA might shout at me!!! Unfortunately, I'm sitting at work pretending to do some work so I'll just have to try and describe it to you as well as I can and hopefully add pictures later.

Like other Shapers salads, the tomato & basil chicken comes in a transparent, plastic rectangular box so you can see the contents before you buy it. The box has a flip-top lid, which is designed to seal when shut, but is also fastened by the product label, for added security and hygiene purposes. The label on top of the box gives us the name of the product, as well as a brief, but detailed description of the ingredients. We are told that the meal consists of tomato & basil dressed spatziole pasta with tomato & basil marinated chicken, as well as a salad of crispy lettuce, cherry tomatoes and green and yellow peppers. Like many of the products in the Shapers range, this one highlights what the manufacturers consider to be 'superfoods' as it contains tomatoes. A clever design feature of the box is the fact that the label is perforated and underneath there is a small fold out plastic fork with a clip to hold it together, so you can eat this meal on the go if you don't have cutlery to hand.

At first sight, the food looks good. There isn't much in the way of salad, but it is clearly fresh and there seems to be a generous amount of chicken and pasta, which is refreshing as many products often tend to be a bit skimpy when it comes to giving you a decent portion of meat. However, being a bit strange, I quite like my salad and thought that it could do with a bit more.

SMELL

On opening the lid, a nice waft of basil hits you, which is intermingled with tomato as you'd expect. It's not particularly overpowering, but sufficient to convince you to dig into the perforated label in search of your fork. It may sound strange, but although there isn't much of it, the salad smells nice and fresh too. I would say that it reminded me of cucumber, but given that there isn't any cucumber in the product, that might be a bit misleading. There is a definite fresh, clean smell of mixed leaves though, which is very appealing considering there is no real sauce or vinaigrette in the salad.

TASTE

It took a while to find out exactly what the product tasted like due to the fact that the fork didn't want to play. This is not a major quibble given that many brands do not even include one, but I imagine it would be quite frustrating if, for instance, you spend much of your life travelling, are starving hungry and do not have access to kitchen equipment. Having said that, I imagine most people would think about that before picking up the salad in favour of a sandwich, but if you're going to include something, it might as well be worthwhile or it is pretty pointless!

Anyway, I digress! I loaded up my fork with a spiral of pasta, a generous lump of chicken and a chunk of pepper. The first mouthful confirmed my belief that the salad was fresh and I was pleasantly pleased to discover that the pasta was moist rather than stodgy and the chicken was real chicken and was very tender. I was dubious at first because the tomato and basil marinade looked to have a powdery coating, reminiscent of bits in your cup a soup which never quite dissolve no matter how much you stir it! I imagine this was due to an ingredient used to ensure that the meat and pasta has an even coverage of the flavouring and that the product has a slightly longer shelf life, but it didn't impact on the taste at all. The fresh, crunchy salad worked well with the tender chicken and the tomato and basil flavouring was obvious, but not overwhelming. There was also a hint of sweetness behind the tomato flavour, which reminded me ever so slightly of barbecue sauce, but this was a very subtle and pleasant addition to the taste in my humble opinion. It disappeared fairly quickly and satisfactorily, so this definitely gets the thumbs up for taste.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION

At the risk of people finding this irrelevant, I feel it important to add nutritional information to this review, because it is a product aimed at people who are watching their weight and Boots market their food range on the fact that they have taken quantities and ingredients into account. Despite the information below being clearly stated on the packaging of the product, I thought it would benefit consumers to know its calorific content etc. before deciding whether or not to go out and buy it!

Calories - 263
Fat - 5.1g
Saturates - 1.4g
Salt 1.7g
Sugar 5.1g
Fibre - 6.1g

FINAL VERDICT

I was quite impressed with this product, as I have been with many of the other products I have sampled on the Shapers range. The food is of a high standard and there is a great deal of variety, so you're often spoilt for choice in terms of what you can have for your lunch. It's also good for you and fills you up nicely. In terms of taste I was highly impressed, only being mildly disappointed with the lack of salad, though I imagine I'm probably on my own on this one! It's also a reasonable range for lunch in terms of price. Bought individually, this product costs £2.20, but if you take advantage of Boots Meal Deal, you can buy a drink and a snack to go with this for £2.99, which is an absolute bargain when you consider what you get for your money. I bought the salad with some apple wedges (£0.80) and an Innocent Smoothie (£1.79), so I made a saving of £1.80, which is well worth it, especially when you consider the advantage card points on top! My only advice is, remember to bring a decent fork with you. The one they provide will do the job, but it's not the best!

So, I would give this product 4/5. I'll no doubt be buying it again.

• n13roy published 19/11/2006
    A really well written and informative review there indeed.......Roy.....
  • jonathanb published 10/07/2006
    An excellent review as usual but it doesn't appeal to me much. I do like the idea of including a combative fork though, presumably to inspire extra weight loss in those who give up the fight.
  • L0BSTER_QUADRILLE published 31/05/2006
    Sounds good, as long as you eat chicken, which I don't :)