Boots (Shop)

Review of "Boots (Shop)"

published 03/04/2008 | michaleks
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro Selecion of products
Cons bad employer, poor knowledge of staff
Price
Layout & presentation
Selection & range
Availability

"Bad employer / tricky marketing"

Boots employee / consumer point of view

This is based on few months of working in Boots. My partner is a student and worked for Boots. Lack of training, unskilled Boot's representatives led to disagreement between us and now we will leave it to the subject of Court judgement. All because of £10 worth of points added to advantage card left with the only instruction that is a Christmas gift. As learned later £5 was allowed. This put my partner in huge stress and ridiculous process of the investigation, which was carried in not acceptable manner. There was no point that financial advantage was desired or taken (Boots advantage card is property of Boots). This could be resolved in differently, again lack of communication, professionalism. The civil claim was based on statements that were refused to sign. Could anyone agreed to it? Other issues found whiles working in Boots:

Profit minded

The company main goal is to make profits and this is main feeling when you start working there. As employee your are always involved in selling ridicules offers to the customers, pharmacy (managers) are constantly pushed. Now I got this feeling that this can be easily done by manipulating employees who's degree is not necessarily business related.

Advantage card

I would like to point out that when you sign up for advantage card you are automatically on the donor list (always read terms and conditions). Please refer to terms and conditions at Boots website.

You will need to actively take yourself off the donor list if you do not want to be there.

Trust

Boots do not trust their employees. Posters in staff rooms show money Boots lost due to theft and consequences just in case you may think about it! This is definitely "right way" of motivation employees.

Pharmacists

On one occasion pharmacist refused to sell "the morning after pill" as his beliefs disagreed with idea of these pills. This is not illegal, however the pharmacists was a coward and could not tell himself to the customer (this was on Sunday afternoon, where there is high possibility other pharmacies are already closed). This gives you a scope of bottom level of pharmacy service you can get.

Tricky marketing

Boots is full of tricky marketing. You need to be smart if you really want to save real money. Buy one get one free does not necessarily means you get the best deal. These offers often follow by increase in the price of product, and so on.

Any solicitors wanted to do pro bono will be greatly appropriated. So far trying to tackle this problem on our own (2 poor students ;-))

Added after few comments:

Sorry, a new one here could not see the employment section (where I could partly post it), however I mentioned a few things regarding offers etc. one of my points is regarding pushing employees to get customers sign up for something was that "are we really getting professional health help there" or we are just simply "victim of marketing".

Situation regarding "the pill" it just a small branch, think globally, how many times other customers could get the same kind of service from Boots. Think about if you were in a situation where you needed the pill. To sum up: partly this review relates to employment, my apologies. Would change category if I could.

... and finally there is more and more stuff on Tv about increasing responsibilities of the pharmacists. So far I have met few Boots pharmacists and the level of their knowledge is ridiculous, so after asking for any advice, always read the label.

not rated

• Lisathisissilly published 24/10/2012
    I don't even understand half of what you wrote! And the bits I did understand were ridiculous! How can you complain a company exists to make profit? Are you for real??? of course they do! If they didn't make a profit they wouldn't exist. Also, most retail stores have posters about shrinkage and employee theft in staff areas to raise awareness- pretty standard practice. Any pharmacist, anywhere, can refuse to provide the morning after pill on religious grounds- that's the law - not boots fault unless you seriously think they should discriminate against employees on religious grounds? I despair that you represent the youth of this country!
  • nic63 published 03/04/2008
    I wasn't aware that I'd signed up as a donor when I had my advantage card, I'll have a look into this.
  • michaleks published 03/04/2008
    Sorry, a new one here could not see the employment section, however mentioned few things regarding offers etc. one of my points regarding pushing employees to get customers sign up for something was that "are we really getting professional health help there" or we are just simply "victim of marketing". Situation regarding "the pill" it just a small branch, think globally, how many times other customers could get the same kind of service from Boots. To sum up: party this review relates to employment, my apologies. Would change category if I could.

Product Information : Boots (Shop)

Listed on Ciao since: 26/07/2000