Cleanser / Exfoliator - Scrub

Review of "Boots Skin Clear Deep Cleansing Scrub"

published 03/06/2017 | euphie
Member since : 21/09/2012
Pro Leaves skin feeling and looking clean and clear
Cons Redness reduction only temporary
How does it affect your skin?
Does it dehydrate your skin?

"Clear Skin"

Boots Skin Clear Deep Cleansing Scrub

I have a habit of buying skincare items that I try for a few weeks, decide they weren't the miracle product I hoped and then they sit in the bathroom gathering dust. This is one such purchase, although when I tried it again, I did wonder why it had sat on the shelf for so long gathering dust.

About The Scrub

This is part of the Boots Clear Skin range and while I have tried one or two of their products, I tended to buy more 'branded' scrubs and washes for my face but occasionally I am swayed by special offers and I think this was on offer when I purchased it.

Boots Skin Clear Ultra Deep Pore Facial Treatment Scrub (to give it it's full name) contains a unique formulation with ingredients which are claimed to be scientifically proven to give visible results by exfoliating and clearing skin. This scrub is created by Boots skincare experts to penetrate deep into pores and lift away impurities to help clear skin fast. It is said to start working immediately and helps clear spots and reduce redness. This scrub is also dermatologically tested.

You can use everyday as part of your Boots Skin Clear Ultra regime or as required.

This scrub should be used within 24 months.

Packaging

This scrub comes in the same style of packaging as the rest of the Boots Clean Skin range which makes it instantly recognisable when you see it on the shelf in store. I find the red and blue packaging on this brand of skincare a little strange as red isn't a colour I want to associate with a skin cleansing brand – I see enough redness on my face daily as it is and I certainly don't want to have a repeat of when my skin was blue either.

There is a lot of information on the back of the tube which makes it very cluttered but the important information is how to use this (although there is nothing special with this scrub, you use it the same as any other) and also the ingredients.

One thing that I really liked about the packaging on this scrub was that the side of the tube itself was clear so you could see exactly how much of the scrub is left. I hate it when you can't see how much is left and are just left wondering with each use if you will run out. You can also see at the bottom of the tube how much is left as well so you know when you are about to run out.
My Thoughts

As I mentioned above, this scrub works the same way as any other scrub I have used in the past. I start by making sure my skin is damp but not too wet then I squeeze around a ten pence piece amount of the scrub onto one hand. Scooping some of the scrub into my other hand, I start by working this scrub into the areas where I need the most help (usually my chin and nose), work some of the scrub into those areas and slowly work across my face massaging the scrub into my skin as I go along. When my whole face is covered in the scrub

This scrub has quite fine particles through it and when using the scrub it doesn't really feel as though it's really working but I was very surprised when I was left with skin that felt very soft and smooth. As this is such a gentle scrub, I feel that this could be used daily if you so desire but I much prefer using a gentle cleanser on my skin daily and a scrub a couple of times a week to remove any dry areas and to give my skin a really deep clean. Despite the name of this being a deep pore scrub, I don't really suffer badly from blocked or enlarged pores so can't really comment on whether or not this helps the issue, but I know that the skin around my nose certainly seems clearer after using this a couple of times a week as it seems to really get rid of any gunk on my face. It says that it also helps reduce redness and it certainly leaves my skin looking less red but it's only a temporary fix, but it's handy if I'm going out and don't want to wear heavy makeup as it temporarily brightens my skin as well as leaving it looking and feeling very smooth.

One thing that I really liked about this scrub was the scent. It has a quite aquatic, ocean scent which is slightly calming as well as cleaning my face. While I would describe the scent of this scrub as being a quite masculine scent, I did really like it. Despite this having such a strong scent, it didn't irritate my skin or around my eyes which I can find happens with some other scrubs that I have used in the past.

I have issues with some brands of cleansers as I have sensitive eyes but I've had no issues with this scrub. I don't really have sensitive skin so can't comment on how this works for those who do but I have experienced no issues with this. I know that sometimes a strong fragrance can irritate sensitive skin though so it's worth keeping in mind.

This is certainly one of the cheaper scrubs that I have tried, and I wouldn't let the price put you off as it is a decent scrub for the price and if it doesn't make a difference to your skin, at least it doesn't cost a lot. If you are looking for a cheap and cheerful scrub that lasts a long time, I would recommend this as I only need a small amount each time I use it.

I use this scrub about once or twice a week now and this in conjunction with my usual skin care regime has meant that my skin is quite clear and radiant. I did find that for a while my skin looked quite dull and I needed to use makeup to hide my skin but I am confident enough again now to go without makeup to work. If I feel that my skin is starting to look dull again, I use this for atound 2 – 3 days daily and it seems to give my skin a boost and I feel that within this time frame, the dull and tired skin on my face is renewed.
Price and Availability

I have had this scrub for a while now and not sure exactly how much I paid for it but if you are interested I trying it, you can buy this from Boots or Boots.com for £4.79 full price although it is often on offer so it's worth keeping an eye out for offers if you are interested in buying this scrub.

I think that this is a decent enough price for a scrub that I use a couple of times a week as this has lasted quite a long time for me as I don't need to use a lot of the scrub at a time and I normally spend around £5 on a facial scrub anyway. I have bought much more expensive scrubs and got worse results including one that I'm not entirely sure if it even is a scrub as it doesn't seem to exfoliate anything so I'd recommend this to anyone with acne or skin issues as it's a cheap and effective part of my skincare routine.
Summing Up

I would really recommend this scrub as I was surprised at how effective it was with my skin. While I feel that a scrub is a little too harsh for everyday use normally, I can understand someone with really bad skin may want to use this daily to try to get their skin under control and I feel that this is a gentle enough scrub that you can use it daily but it still gives a deep clean.

I loved the scent of this scrub, it had a unisex oceanic scent that I feel would appeal to both men and women and I always appreciate a nice scent in beauty products.

• Angel19819 published 17/07/2017
    vh.x
  • kalani.brymer published 18/06/2017
    Good insight! Suprissed how a store brand cleanser works well! :)
  • bexx0907 published 16/06/2017