Born This Way - Lady Gaga

Born This Way - Lady Gaga

Review of "Born This Way - Lady Gaga"

published 03/04/2011 | tipsyrabbit
Member since : 17/03/2010
Satisfactory
Pro Gaga can sing...
Cons ...but it's hard to sing this well
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"He made you perfect. She didn't."

Lady Gaga

Ever since launching in the UK in January 2009, Lady Gaga has been well known for her unusual antics. ‘Just Dance’ was a huge smash and gave her the acceptance to push even further. Those who have followed Lady Gaga will know that she is continuously trying to go further, from ‘Poker Face’ to ‘Bad Romance’ the transition has been astounding. Just when you thought she couldn’t get any stranger. One thing that has been continuously brilliant however, is her music. Of course her behaviour is to thank for her fan base, but you can’t doubt her talent.

Kylie must be spitting mad seeing as Lady Gaga is probably the first artist that comes to mind when you think of a musician with a huge gay fan base (more on that later). And whilst ‘Mother Monster’ does use Twitter, her ‘Little Monsters’ would lap up everything she does whether she communicated with them using this social outlet or not. Beyonce is the only artist to have collaborated with Gaga on any notable release, on ‘Telephone’, probably her most famed video to date. Gaga has always stated that she wants her music videos to be an event, similar to that of Michael Jackson and ‘Thriller’ proportions. Thus far she hasn’t disappointed.

Perhaps the reason for Gaga’s success isn’t just that of her antics, but the faultless production she receives on many of her tracks from RedOne. Her success has in hand leaded to his, working with Enrique Inglesias and Jennifer Lopez on their recent hits. The party sound of her hits in turn lead to the acceptance of producers such as David Guetta being hugely successful in the USA, and this isn’t anymore apparent than in the long chart reign of Black Eyed Peas with ‘I Gotta Feeling’.

Born This Way

‘Born This Way’ is the lead single released from the album of the same title – the true follow-up album to ‘The Fame’ and ‘The Fame Monster’ (which spawned hits such as ‘Paparazzi’ and ‘Alejandro’). A lot of hype was put into the single, with Lady Gaga slowly dripping information out to her fans such as singing a line from the track at an award ceremony and releasing the lyrics online. Excitement was so high that even the hugely popular Ellen Show featured a skit where the host, Ellen, and her guests, including Justin Bieber, were singing what they thought the track might sound like based off the lyrics she had released.

Originally the first performance of the track should have come at the Grammy’s, but she released the track a couple days early. Many argue that this was to fend off the huge success Britney Spears was having with ‘Hold It Against Me’, but that sounds like nothing than conspiracy theory between the ridiculous feud Gaga and Britney fans have. Now that’s a crazy fanbase for you.

When I saw the lyrics I was a little disappointed. It seemed that Gaga had realised all the love she was getting and could put out on the market whatever she liked. ‘Born This Way’ was going to be an anthem that ‘school choirs would be singing in the future’ rather than the dance anthem that many of her more casual fans have enjoyed. The lyrics were clearly sending out a gay love message, which is no wonder the track got banned in Malaysia.

Upon first listen my fears were confirmed. The track that Gaga has said she had written for a long time was just a self-indulgent message to the world that she can say what she wants, and that we should embrace all communities. Ok, so maybe not being prejudice or being derogatory of the gay lesbian community is a good thing… but do we really need a song about it? There was also a lot of people blasting the songs for its comparisons to Madonna’s ‘Express Yourself’, but we all know Gaga has seen herself as the next Madonna for a long time now.

Birth

And with very little promotion, the music video then slips out. Literally. For those who have seen the full length video will know the start features a very confusing message and then appears to try and show some not-child birth imagery throughout. You also get Lady Gaga dressed up as a skeleton and in various other poses. One thing that does strike me about the video was how for an artist who is promoting being whom you are with the song; she doesn’t seem to have taken a second thought to dancing around in her bra showing off her figure.

Gaga is looking strikingly thinner than ever. For an artist who hasn’t really taken a break for over 2 years, with a gruelling ‘Monsters Ball’ world tour, this really reflects in her skinny weight, which I’d say is bordering on anorexic. With anything though, when a music video is introduced it can make you look at the song in another way, and the track has slowly grown on me.

Having said that, ‘Born This Way’ does not hold up well next to her previous releases. For anyone wondering, I would say the Britney Spears have the better deal as I think her new releases have been better. I would not choose to listen to ‘BTW’ over many other tracks, although if played in a club I could see people hitting the dance floor. And perhaps we as the UK market are missing something, as the track hit the top of the charts almost everywhere – including being the 1000th number one track on the US Billboard chart. Gaga also broke a lot of records with the track, some of which had only been created a few weeks earlier by Britney.

This Way to my iPod or the Exit?

Elton John is a legend of music, and perhaps a gay icon, so when you see Lady Gaga is getting a lot of love from this man you get an indication of her career path and her music. Although initially disappointed by ‘BTW’, and still somewhat, there it doesn’t appear that Gaga was a one hit wonder with her first album and she could be around for a while to come. She is without a doubt one of the first female artists that come to mind when thinking about pop music now. She also pushes things further than anyone else, which can only be a good thing, think meat dress.

I hope I haven’t given the wrong impression because Born The Way isn’t just a song about everyone being homosexual; it’s about being you. If you’re a Lady Gaga fan there is no doubt you are going to love this one, from the outside it’s not all that. The follow up single shall be ‘Judas’, produced by RedOne, so lets hope that’s back to her routes and not so preachy. And I wonder how she’ll top the giant egg.

Lyrics

It doesn't matter if you love him or capital H-I-M
Just put your paws up
'Cause you were born this way, baby

My mama told me when I was young
We are all born superstars
She rolled my hair and put my lipstick on
In the glass of her boudoir

There's nothin' wrong with lovin' who you are
She said, 'cause He made you perfect, babe
So hold your head up, girl and you you'll go far
Listen to me when I say

I'm beautiful in my way
I was born this way

Don't hide yourself in regret
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way, born this way

Don't be

Give yourself prudence and love your friends
Subway kid, rejoice of truth
In the religion of the insecure
I must be myself, respect my youth

A different lover is not a sin
Believe capital H-I-M
I love my life, I love this record and
Mi amore vole fe yah

I'm beautiful in my way,

Don't hide yourself in regret,

I'm on the right track, baby, I was born this way

Don't be drag, just be a queen
Whether you're broke or evergreen
You're black, white, beige, chola descent
You're Lebanese, you're orient

Whether life's disabilities
Left you outcast, bullied or teased
Rejoice and love yourself today
'Cause baby, you were born this way

No matter gay, straight or bi
Lesbian, transgendered life
I was born to survive

No matter black, white or beige
Chola or orient made
I was born to be brave

I'm beautiful in my way

Don't hide yourself in regret,
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way, yeah

I'm on the right track, baby, I was born this way, hey

I'm on the right track, baby, I was born this way, hey

• prettypolly40 published 04/04/2011
    You've gotta love her
  • Absinthe_Fairy published 03/04/2011
    Very thorough write-up.
  • hogsflesh published 03/04/2011
    I quite like the idea of Lady Gaga, but find the music curiously banal.

offers "Born This Way - Lady Gaga"