Born This Way - Lady Gaga

Born This Way - Lady Gaga

Review of "Born This Way - Lady Gaga"

published 22/02/2012 | MarcoG
Member since : 07/07/2006
Busy busy busy...golly gosh I'm busy
Good
Pro The Edge of Glory, You and I, Government Hooker, Hair, Bad Kids, Marry the Night, Born This Way
Cons Judas, Americano, ScheiBe, Bloody Mary, Highway Unicorn, Heavy Metal Lover, Electric Chapel
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"Bored This Way"

There was a lot of anticipation for what the newly crowned Princess of pop, Lady Gaga, would release after the astronomical success of her debut album 'The Fame'. After a rerelease with an extra CD including the hit 'Bad Romance' and 'Telephone' (with everyone's favourite bum shaker, Beyonce) the popstar/crazy lady could do no wrong. Then she released 'Born This Wa'y. Accused of similarities between the title track and Madonna's 'Express Yourself', the politically socialist, liberal and equality spouting anthem made many exhale with a resounding sigh of "is that it?".

I used to like the Gaga. When she first came on the music scene, she seemed whimsy, light-hearted, kooky, fun and harmless. Then all of a sudden, quicker than you can say ra-ra-ra-ahh-aaaah-roma-ro-ma-ma-gaga-oh-la-la Gaga started developing and caressing a political flair - fighting for equality and justice for all. Now don't get me wrong - I'm all for equality and taking a stand, as much as the next man, but when it's chanted at you so directly, it becomes annoying. As a consequence, I feel her music has become inane, irreverent and yes, annoying. You can see her on the album cover, half lady, half motorbike (and 100% gaga). I did hear what it's supposed to symbolise, but I don't care enough to research. Shame.

In my opinion, the Album is bookended with reasonably good tracks, but the album as a whole, just doesn't seem to have much meat its bones. There is something of a rather generic similarity throughout, because most of the tunes share a similar metallic, grinding synthetic sound (including 'Born This Way') that doesn't sit well with my well attuned ears, listening out for the perfect pop ditty. Unsurprisingly with that statement, it's clear to see that these bookends from the album, are the songs that have been released. The padding in between sounds like Gaga has spent too much time in the euro trash clubs of the continent, filling the CD with songs like 'Americano' and 'Judas' (the somewhat forgotten second release, although charting bizarrely well), which sound like Eurovision rejects, if ever I heard them. Where as 'ScheiBe' (yes, that means the "S" word in German) sounds like a hardcore remix of a Venga Boys flop, fresh out of Ibiza. If you like the German language she bangs on about being "Mother Monster" in the deutsch tongue, so you might enjoy it. Dullness also oozes from 'Bloody Mary', 'Highway Unicorn' and 'Heavy Metal Lover', give these a skip.

So, that's 6 tracks I've scrapped so far. However, there are a few saving graces, the electronic 'Government Hooker' is worth a listen (if you can get through the avant garde attempt to stand out with the irreverant and oh-so-irritating Gaga operatics at the start). If it weren't for the controversial title, this one may have been a worthy release. What a lot of people liked about her last album is that flirted unashamedly with fun bubbles of shameless pop pleasure ('Boys Boys Boys' being the prime example of this) and fans of that will be pleased to hear that there is one on here that strikes similar on this album (albeit giving a lick of political overtone of self empowerment) with 'Bad Kids' - super catchy and will have you singing along on first listen and for days after. The retro 80s pop echoes are a joy. Whilst on the subject of joy, 'Hair' deserves a mention for it's poppy charm also - although it annoys me somewhat that it's a song about teenage rebellion and wanted to be accepted for who she wanted to be, and to be as free as her hair - but I can forgive her that does of cheese for the melodic beauty.

Other released songs that I quite like and feel I should mention are 'Marry the Night' (have you seen the spic 15 minute video for this? If not, don't waste your time), and 'You and I'. Both solid tracks. I have a love/hate relationship with the title track 'Born This Way' though, sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't, sometimes I just want to tell Gaga to put a sock in it and play we something with a little more je-ne-sais-quoi...unequivacal escapist pizazz, rather than putting the world to rights. But hey, someone's got to, right? Thus starts my love/hate relationship with the Gaga.

One thing to say about this album, is that it certainly gives a nod to the 80s, some good nods, some not so good. 'Electric Chapel' being the latter. The 80s feel is never clearer than in the successful release (and probably my favourite song) 'The Edge of Glory' and definately the former of that statement. If ever the saxophone was to make a comeback as the staple ingredient in a pop tune, now is it's chance. Saxotastic moments are rife!

I've had this in car for a number of weeks and find myself skipping tracks all the time, to the point where I only listen to 7 of the 15 tracks. Everyone says the 2nd album is the toughest (especially if your first one was a hit) and here it certainly feels like she succumbed to that pressure and clobbered together any old bunch of audible scraps, that were lying around on the Euro pop's cutting room floor!

Your quick guide to the album, is as follows:

PLAY Marry The Night
PLAY Hair
SKIP ScheiBe
SKIP Bloody Mary
PLAY Bad Kids
SKIP Highway Unicorn (Road to Love)
SKIP Heavy Metal Lover
SKIP Electric Chapel
PLAY You and I
PLAY The Edge of Glory
SKIP SKIP SKIP...and lastly a pointless and crappy remix of Born This Way

Needless to say, there are special editions, and remix versions of this collection also available. If you want to try this album, I'd recommend borrowing it from a friend or spending as little as possible on it, to avoid disappointment.

Recommended? Meh...